Single Record Indexing Tool Suggestion
1) Users often have access to historical documents that have not been indexed and added to FamilySearch. 2) An easy way is needed to index and add new single sources to FamilySearch.
The tool would: 1) help extract key information from documents a user may have access to that has not been indexed (and will not likely be any time soon). Examples of these documents include: family bibles, family copies of funeral programs, family histories, etc. and 2) prepare material to be added as a source to FamilySearch.
- A general record template with selectable sections would be provided. The user would select index fields needed for the document being indexed (e.g. document title, document date, name, birth, father, child).
- The user would fill in information from the document.
- A “Finished Indexing” button would create an indexed record in the user's Source Box.
- An image would be uploaded by the user and connected to the source in the source box.
- The record, image, and source information would be presented via Add a Source for verification and acceptance.
- The source would be attached as appropriate by the user.
- OCR capabilities from a document image would be very helpful.
- Auto fill-in the blanks could be helpful.
NOTE: The same or similar tool could be used to add data from fields not yet indexed for documents already in FamilySearch.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron ...
Just in passing ...
I understand your suggested enhancement ...
Just to that you are aware ...
Records, that WE personally, may, be able to "Index", CANNOT be uploaded, into the "Records" Section, of 'FamilySearch', principally because:
- FamilySearch does not have legal permission to publish indexes or images.
- FamilySearch lacks access to some scanned images.
Here is a "Knowledge Article", in 'FamilySearch':
Can I make an indexing request for records?
I know, that this certainly may not help/assist; but, I hope, that this may provide you with, some additional, insight; and, perspective.
If such records are added to Memories - then they have already passed the criteria for copyright permission (when uploading Memories the user asserts they have permission to do so).
I would like such a tool integrated with the Indexing webapp as well, but I think the drawback to allowing such cross-feature indexing/transcribing - is probably the development cost/time in exchange for the user doing such one-off document indexes/transcriptions in some other editor (i.e. word processor) and uploading it to their Memories/Source Box independently. Transcriptions/index could be included in the Notes of a Source if using that method.0
The key advantage I was looking for in creating a source from a one off was having tag field data accessible by the system for searches, hints, vital information edit sub-screens, etc.0
I used to think this would be a good idea. But then I watched some contributors systematically falsify the editable details indexed from historical records, apparently hoping to use the resulting mess to gain entry to an exclusive descendancy society.
@GlennBarlowHammer do you know how to use your Source Box to bypass historical record indexing?0
@dontiknowyou "bypass historical record indexing" not sure what you mean?0
bypass historical record indexing
Once you have found a not-yet-indexed page image with information about your family of interest, you can put that image in your Source Box with its date, title, URL, citation, notes, etc. Then from the Source Box you can attach the page image to all relevant profiles in Family Tree. It will appear in the Sources list on each profile.0
@dontiknowyou OK, Yes I have been doing that.0