Single Record Indexing Tool Suggestion
1) Users often have access to historical documents that have not been indexed and added to FamilySearch. 2) An easy way is needed to index and add new single sources to FamilySearch.
The tool would: 1) help extract key information from documents a user may have access to that has not been indexed (and will not likely be any time soon). Examples of these documents include: family bibles, family copies of funeral programs, family histories, etc. and 2) prepare material to be added as a source to FamilySearch.
- A general record template with selectable sections would be provided. The user would select index fields needed for the document being indexed (e.g. document title, document date, name, birth, father, child).
- The user would fill in information from the document.
- A “Finished Indexing” button would create an indexed record in the user's Source Box.
- An image would be uploaded by the user and connected to the source in the source box.
- The record, image, and source information would be presented via Add a Source for verification and acceptance.
- The source would be attached as appropriate by the user.
- OCR capabilities from a document image would be very helpful.
- Auto fill-in the blanks could be helpful.
NOTE: The same or similar tool could be used to add data from fields not yet indexed for documents already in FamilySearch.