I have no idea what is what in this record
I am trying to index some records from the 19th century in County Cavan, Ireland. The Project Instructions say that most of these records are marriage or baptism records, and to not index items not in this county. Some problems I'm running into:
- The project is marked intermediate, but when I go in, it gives me a warning that this is advanced. Which is it? (I know this is a FS error, not issues with the actual record, but it still makes it difficult to pick projects.)
- There is zero indication of what type of records these are. I'm learning towards assuming they are marriage records, since there is more than 1 name, but I know assumptions are BAD in indexing so I'd rather not. None of the examples provided are remotely relevant to these records.
- I cannot tell where these mysterious events took place for sure. Some diligent googling indicated that the word above the date could be the township (as Gallon and Kilnacor are both townships in County Cavan), but without any field labels, it's impossible to tell. Do I need to Google every possible township to make sure it's in the right county?
- There are abbreviations in parentheses or other areas in the record that I have no idea what they could mean. For instance, in the image I've attached there is something that looks like 'nil' or 'mil' or even possibly 'nit' in parentheses in the 2nd record. I have no idea if that is something important that should be indexed or anything else. Even more importantly, there is something that looks like 'Sr' or possibly 'Sp' before some initials (I think) at the end of EVERY record in this batch. Again, no clue what this could mean or if it should be indexed or anything of the sort.
- The second item (record? date's records?) seems to have listed 2 marriages (between John - F Bernard & Ellen Lynch, and between Michael Lynch & Mary Lynch). Many of the records in this batch are similar. The first item, however, is different, and confuses me. It seems to end with a marriage (between Mat Obvill & Peggy Lynch), but the first part, "Thomas Crawford of Thomas and Jane Reilly" makes no sense. Is this a christening? A baptism? It runs right into the part that looks like a marriage, so is it related, or was that simply a desperate act of paper conservation?
Overall, I don't think this would be a difficult project/batch if the Project Information even came close to giving accurate or helpful information, and I'm frustrated. How am I supposed to move forward in indexing with such an abysmal lack of information?