Accessing FS from an iPad
My colleague who is new to FS and accesses it from an iPad wants to know which of the apps to use from the following screen dump. I’m not even sure if these are the correct apps.
What is FamilySearch International (IGI?)
What is DMAP?
Are the apps for an iPad more akin to a mobile phone that a computer?
Patty K R O ✭✭
@dave15 Thank you for your question. From the photo dump, the FamilySearch app which is the one just above the last one is the correct one.
The app for iPad is the same as the one for mobile phone. He can also access FamilySearch on the iPad by using Safari and going to familysearch.org. However, the app is designed for use with mobile devices and the displays are designed for that purpose and so are more legible on smaller screens.
The International Genealogical Index (IGI) is an index of genealogies the Church has collected over the years. When conducting a search on Family Search, website or app, one of the databases that is searched is the IGI and results displayed will include those. There is no need to have a separate app for that. You can also access the IGI by clicking on Search, then Genealogies. This will search several databases that are collections of genealogies.
Also for your information:
The overall purpose of Family Tree is to help you discover your family and, in turn, discover a bit about yourself.
- Family Tree is a little different from other similar sites in that it is a single tree linked together in families, rather than a site that allows users to create and manage their own private trees. This difference means that everyone works together on the same data, allowing for the potential to connect every member of the human family.
- Family Tree compares records and sources in order to help you resolve mistakes or duplication in records. It also provides messaging and collaboration tools, as well as free expert phone support, to help you resolve errors.
- Family Tree draws from FamilySearch's enormous database to provide record hints. This makes it easier to link you and your ancestors to earlier generations.
- The Memories section can help foster deeper connections to ancestors. It provides a place where you can preserve and share photos and histories.
- We want Family Tree to be accessible to as many people as possible. You can view it through a variety of means, including on mobile devices, with the Family Tree and Memories apps, or in areas with low bandwidth, with the Family Tree Lite website.
It is our hope that, through Family Tree, we can work together to create the best-sourced, public genealogical family tree in the world and allow family members to connect both in the past as well as the present.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to respond to this post.0
Welcome to the FamilySearch community. Thank you for the time you spend asking questions.
Patty, answered your question successfully., about 'What is FamilySearch International (IGI?) '.
The is the URL for the knowledge article that explains this in detail.
We wanted you to have the URL for future reference.
Thank you for using this wonderful website and we wish you much success.1
Miss Jessie ✭✭✭
Hi Dave, I access FamilySearch on an iPad for most of my workflow. The Family Tree App & Memories App are the ones your friend will use.
The DMAP app is used by persons who are filming original records which will be uploaded to FamilySearch as part of the Records listed in the Catalog & Records searches. It is not used to add or view one’s own Family History pedigree or memories.0
Thank you all for you insightful comments. I now have a much better idea of how to proceed.