have been searching a few years for obit for my maternal grandfather Hugh Angus MacGillivray d. 1968 Halifax Nova Scotia Canada; his profile is on family search, wiketree and ancestry; any help appreciated, Joe McDonald
Good morning @joemcdonald may I suggest a few places to try if these resources have not been looked into before:
1) If you have an account with Ancestry.com you can pull up a database of abt. 175 - All Death, Burial, Cemetery & Obituaries results for Hugh MacGillivary, to see if any one of them is your guy.
2) Nova Scotia Archives - https://archives.novascotia.ca/vital-statistics/ (902) 424-6060 Besides death records they also have obituary records.
3) Archives.com - https://www.archives.com/ca/search They have a free trial. Besides death records, they also have a Newspaper collection. https://www.archives.com/ca/search/newspaper?Collection=872&Country=Canada
On your behalf, I entered Hugh Angus MacGillivary with the death date 1968 (death records) and there is a large collection of death records under this name, you may want to try Angus MacGillivary too in this database. Joe, if you want to narrow your search be sure to add other details to focus on your Hugh by adding a spouse name or parents name, to get a better result in a timely manner.
4) The Community has a Group you may want to join - Canada Events & Research
5) Still, another database worth trying too is https://www.newspapers.com/
Please keep in mind, some of the above databases may pull up the same results.
6) Nova Scotia Genealogy Network Association
Formed to provide access to and promote genealogical resources pertaining to Nova Scotia and support the efforts of the local and county historical societies in the province. Links to listings of information available at:
7) Least but not last you may want to try Where can I get help with my genealogy? there are some different suggestions such as Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness ( RAOGK )
I hope one of the above suggestions helps to break through your brick wall. Wishing you a successful find of your Hugh Angus MacGillivary.
i guess some people would call this a brick wall
Welcome to the FamilySearch community. Thank you for the time you spend asking questions.
It will take some extra search on your end , however, we found the following.
Regarding Obituary for Hugh Angus Mac Gillivray, using Google Chrome:
*List of Nova Scotia newspapers available on microfilm at Library and Archives Canada:<br>[http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/newspapers/newspaper-collection/Pages/microform-holdings-geographical-ns.aspx Library and Archives Canada]<br>
*Nova Scotia vital statistics from newspapers [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/14687 FamilySearch]<br>
*'''1752-1988''' - Hicks, Brenda, Lynn Murphy, and Anjali Vohra. ''Nova Scotia Newspapers: A Directory and Union List, 1752-1988. ''Halifax, Nova Scotia: School of Library and Information Studies, Dalhousie University, 1990.<br>
Thank you for the work you are doing in Family Tree and we wish you much success.