Skip to content

RootsTech

Groups Select

Clear

Easier process to find our cousins

edited March 6 in RootsTech

In Rootstech, we are able to see our relatives. I believe we should add an activity that we can connect to them. The activity would include a way to contact them and make new relationships. I believe that will makes us more connected.

Comments

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

As, 'Jessie' has already proffered, with those "Knowledge Articles" in 'FamilySearch' ...

The facilities/functions/features that your are suggesting, ALREADY exist in 'FamilySearch'.

What occurred at "RootsTech" Connect 2021, this year, was basically, a Worldwide (ie. Global), opportunity, to do, what we can ALREADY do; but, on a much smaller scale, on a 'One on One' basis.

Firstly ...

We can ALREADY, "Enable" the "Relationship Viewing", that allows ("Living") Users/Patrons, to 'see' how (and, if) they link/connect in/through "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.

We give our permission/authority to enable the "Relationship Viewing" in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', for OTHER ("Living") Users/Patrons, to 'see' us.

Exactly what was happening at "RootsTech" 2021; but, on a much BIGGER scale.

But ...

That said ...

Once one enables "Relationship Viewing" ...

▬  That can be "Revoked" (ie. "Stopped"/"Disabled"/"Turned Off") at any time, one so desires ...

▬  Is AUTOMATICALLY "Revoked" (ie. "Stopped"/"Disabled"/"Turned Off") after x12 Months; but, can be "Renewed"/"Reactivated" ...

What we agreed to at "RootsTech" 2021, was ONLY a "Short Lived" version of the aforementioned.

We gave our permission/authority, when "Joining", the convention, at "RootsTech" 2021, to enable "Relationship Viewing", on a massive scale.

Now ...

That said ...

Enable "Relationship Viewing" with, due care; and, due diligence, for reasons of "Privacy", be careful, protect oneself, from those with nefarious intent.

And, believe it or not there WOULD be those (all-be-it limited) operating in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch" with nefarious intent.

Secondly ...

We can ALREADY have "User Messaging" in 'FamilySearch' to "Collaborate", with OTHER Users/Patrons.

That is a 'Messaging' medium WITHIN 'FamilySearch' itself.

It is independent of any other communication medium (eg. E-mail).

Just to give you a 'Heads Up' ...

Please be aware that we DO NOT always get responses to 'Messages' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch' (or, even, direct, "E-mails") that we send.

Sometimes, there is NO response ...

There are many reasons for NO response:

[ some; but, NOT limited to ... ]

The User/Patron:

▬  has Died/passed away themselves

▬  is not aware of; and/or, does not know how to use,

... "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch' (and, for some "E-mails")

▬  is an infrequent User/Patron of "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'

▬  may have STOPPED using "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'

▬ may simply choose NOT to respond

I hope this helps.

Brett

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

As, 'Jessie' has already proffered, with those "Knowledge Articles" in 'FamilySearch' ...

The facilities/functions/features that your are suggesting, ALREADY exist in 'FamilySearch'.

What occurred at "RootsTech" Connect 2021, this year, was basically, a Worldwide (ie. Global), opportunity, to do, what we can ALREADY do; but, on a much smaller scale, on a 'One on One' basis.

Firstly ...

We can ALREADY, "Enable" the "Relationship Viewing", that allows ("Living") Users/Patrons, to 'see' how (and, if) they link/connect in/through "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.

We give our permission/authority to enable the "Relationship Viewing" in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', for OTHER ("Living") Users/Patrons, to 'see' us.

Exactly what was happening at "RootsTech" 2021; but, on a much BIGGER scale.

But ...

That said ...

Once one enables "Relationship Viewing" ...

▬  That can be "Revoked" (ie. "Stopped"/"Disabled"/"Turned Off") at any time, one so desires ...

▬  Is AUTOMATICALLY "Revoked" (ie. "Stopped"/"Disabled"/"Turned Off") after x12 Months; but, can be "Renewed"/"Reactivated" ...

What we agreed to at "RootsTech" 2021, was ONLY a "Short Lived" version of the aforementioned.

We gave our permission/authority, when "Joining", the convention, at "RootsTech" 2021, to enable "Relationship Viewing", on a massive scale.

Now ...

That said ...

Enable "Relationship Viewing" with, due care; and, due diligence, for reasons of "Privacy", be careful, protect oneself, from those with nefarious intent.

And, believe it or not there WOULD be those (all-be-it limited) operating in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch" with nefarious intent.

Secondly ...

We can ALREADY have "User Messaging" in 'FamilySearch' to "Collaborate", with OTHER Users/Patrons.

That is a 'Messaging' medium WITHIN 'FamilySearch' itself.

It is independent of any other communication medium (eg. E-mail).

Just to give you a 'Heads Up' ...

Please be aware that we DO NOT always get responses to 'Messages' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch' (or, even, direct, "E-mails") that we send.

The User/Patron:

I hope this helps.

Brett

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

Furthermore ...

Enable Relationship Viewing, in 'FamilySearch' ...

There are two ways that I know of:

------------------

One is through your "Settings", under the "Permissions" 'Tab', in 'FamilySearch'.

image.

------------------

The other is when you select the "Contact Name" of a User/Patron who has contributed details to a record.

image.

image.

------------------

I hope this helps.

Brett

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

Furthermore ...

Enable Relationship Viewing, in 'FamilySearch' ...

There are two ways that I know of:

------------------

One is through your "Settings", under the "Permissions" 'Tab', in 'FamilySearch'.

image.

------------------

The other is when you select the "Contact Name" of a User/Patron who has contributed details to a record.

image.

image.

------------------

I hope this helps.

Brett

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

Furthermore ...

"User Messaging" in 'FamilySearch' ...

[ where you can even 'see', "Relationship Viewing", in action ... ]

"Send" the User/Patron, that you have found, a 'Message' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch'.

Just 'select' their "Contact Name" ANYWHERE you know it is; and, from the resulting "Pop-up" (ie. "Modal") 'Window'; then, go down to the bottom, 'select' the "Send a Message" link ...

User with few details ...

image.

User/Patron with much details ... including an "E-mail" Address ...

[ Where you can; even, send them an "E-mail" ... ]

Here is the "Knowledge Article" in 'FamilySearch', provided by 'Jessie':

How do I send a message to someone who contributed to Family Tree or Memories?

https://www.familysearch.org/help/helpcenter/article/how-do-i-contact-or-message-a-user-who-contributed-to-family-tree-or-memories

But ...

That said ...

As I advise ...

Please be aware that we DO NOT always get responses to a 'Messages' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch' (or, even, direct, "E-mails") that we send.

The User/Patron:

I hope this helps.

Brett

• Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

Vincent

Furthermore ...

"User Messaging" in 'FamilySearch' ...

[ where you can even 'see', "Relationship Viewing", in action ... ]

"Send" the User/Patron, that you have found, a 'Message' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch'.

Just 'select' their "Contact Name" ANYWHERE you know it is; and, from the resulting "Pop-up" (ie. "Modal") 'Window'; then, go down to the bottom, 'select' the "Send a Message" link ...

User with few details ...

image.

User/Patron with much details ... including an "E-mail" Address ...

[ Where you can; even, send them an "E-mail" ... ]

Here is the "Knowledge Article" in 'FamilySearch', provided by 'Jessie':

How do I send a message to someone who contributed to Family Tree or Memories?

https://www.familysearch.org/help/helpcenter/article/how-do-i-contact-or-message-a-user-who-contributed-to-family-tree-or-memories

But ...

That said ...

As I advise ...

Please be aware that we DO NOT always get responses to a 'Messages' in/through "User Messaging" of 'FamilySearch' (or, even, direct, "E-mails") that we send.

The User/Patron:

I hope this helps.

Brett