My upload of a GEDCOM file was unsuccessful. Is there a way to find out why, or what needs to be corrected? Thx H. Capps
Welcome to the "Community/FamilySearch" Forum.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron.
That said ...
I like to help/assist where I can ...
Question: In WHAT Part of 'FamilySearch' were you "Uploading" your GEDCOM File?
▬ The "Genealogies" Part of 'FamilySearch'; or,
▬ The "Family Tree" Part of 'FamilySearch'
There is a distinct difference depending on what part of 'FamilySearch'.
I believe I caused my problem but I don't know how to solve it: I uploaded images (attachment at message) and deleted the upload before sending the message. I didn't send the message either. (I wasn't certain the uploaded stuff is correct). Now any attempt to upload fails.
In FamilySearch, we (those of us who use it daily) have discovered even though the new size for PDFs has been upped to 5MB, that it " 'tain't necessarily so". So when adding documents that have been scanned and not just text items that have been converted to PDF, but scanned items that should be treated like pictures with all the metadata stuff, you may need to limit the PDF size to 3 pages. Or send pages one at a time as "Page one of x number of pages, Page 2 of x number of pages", etc.
Or what I have experienced with those I have been helping as a FamilySearch Helper, is they send me the file, I convert it and upload it for them. 10MB PDFs do not upload, even though FamilySearch "pretends" to do so. FamilySearch needs to have an error message like, "This file is too large, please reduce it". 4.7MB PDF files also do not load, so the "5MB limit" is obviously ballparkish.
Some things that may affect upload experience is Internet throughput, computer memory or word processing "baggage" (hidden code attached to a file - and I am not naming names, but it is consistent with the letters "MS").
For example, I was helping a distant cousin with his grandfather's diary that had been retyped into the latest Microsoft Office Word (I'm guessing MS 360) on a Mac. He tried valiantly to get this file to upload for almost a month after I had painstakingly told him how to do it. Each week. But it just kept pretending to load. Day after day, week after week. Finally he sent me the file. What a man of patience! I converted it to Pages (He also had done that previously, but the PDF from his new Mac just would not play nice with FamilySearch). We are on the same Internet service. His Mac is newer than mine. So he emailed it to me. It was not a large file. I converted it from Word to Pages and then from pages to PDF and it uploaded lickety-split.
Another distant cousin tried in vain to upload from her husband's computer (PC) she had emailed to, so she called me, asking for help. I discovered the PDF in question was over 10MB the she had sent to me. It was a bunch of scanned documents. So it had to be separated out by document in order to be uploaded successfully. Ditto experience with one that was 4.7 MB, even for me, so I asked her to do the "Page 1 of x Pages" etc., routine. This is a summer project for her with a boatload of genealogy information her father and mother had researched for decades and she received as inheritance and wants to get added to FamilySearch profiles. The stuff is just simply amazing. What she is doing is marvelous.
I would humbly request that the PDF upload process be increased by a magnitude or two or three, so we could in fact upload PDF "books". There is such a pent-up demand for this....