I have a GED file from family tree maker software. Can I bring that over to Family search so that I don't have to copy everything item by item?
.You can; but ...
Please Do NOT upload a GEDCOM File in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch".
Upload GEDCOM File in the "Genealogies" Part of "FamilySearch", that is fine; but, please NOT in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch".
Some of the reasons that Users/Patrons (like myself) DO NOT want the ability to upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" are:
(1) It is most likely that individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File are ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch"; and, most Users.Patrons DO NOT even take the time to look to see if any one in their GEDCOM File is already in "Family Tree", in some instances, negating the need to even upload the GEDCOM File.
(2) There has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons, using the "Compare" process (of the upload) have "Dismissed" a "Possible" Match with an individual/person already in "Family Tree"; so that, their "Record", from their GEDCOM File, is loaded into "Family Tree", regardless; just so that, their "Record" appears in "Family Tree" (and, in some instances, for Members of the Church, so they can do the "Temple" Work, despite the fact that the "Temple" Work is ALREADY done with the "Possible" Match with the individual/person already in "Family Tree").
(3) Even with the "Compare" process (of the upload), there has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons have uploaded THEIR version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" that has been there for MANY years and is well documented and "Sources" - in many instances obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources".
(4) If an individual/person is ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch", there is NO need to up uploaded one's version of an individual/person from one's own GEDCOM File - just take note of the the 'FamilySearch Person Idenmtifier' (PID) of the individual/person that is ALREADY in "Family Tree"; and, one can go back later to ensure what information/detail is recorded and attached for that individual/person. just DO NOT uploaded one's version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" - obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources" ALREADY in place/on record.
(5) The "Hours" (sometimes "Days") of work, by other Users/Patrons, that can be needed to CORRECT the DAMAGE done by the upload of a GEDCOM File can be disheartening.
I am sorry ... 'off my soap box' ...
Enter (ie. 'Create) the individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" one at a time - on a one by one basis.
Many of the individuals/persons most probably ALREADY exist in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch".
Use the "Find" facility/function/feature to Search "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch", you may be surprised to find some (if not, many) of them already there.
Many well established and documented (eg. "Sourced") individuals/person in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" have been RUINED by the upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch".
I hope this puts things into perspective.
You could - with some effort - but chances are the people are already in FamilySearch and you would just be creating a bunch of duplicates.
Keep in mind it is one database that we all share - and anything you upload can impact the work of other researchers.
I only have a handful of people in my tree on this website but have over 200 on ancestry. I just wanted to upload my own tree. Then use FS as my search engine.
the point is its not really "your tree" in FS.
this is a single database that we all share -
this is not a "my tree vs your tree" type system like Ancestry is.
you and I and millions of other users all access and update a single massive database.
have you looked for some of your earlier ancestors to see if they are already in FS? Chances are they are already there. Where are your ancestors from?
what are some of the names of your early ancestors with birth dates?
Just because you dont "see" your ancestors on your default pedigree view here in FS - doesnt mean that most of your ancestors are not in FS - chances are they are already here - just not yet connected to you (yet). its just those connections you need to make.
what is the name and birth date/place of your earliest Paternal line ancestors? with that info we can determine if they are already in FS or not.
Patrick O'Connor from Fairfax Virginia, born 1832 in Kerry Ireland. Came to Us around 1850.
what was his wife's name?
and the names of his children?
chances are very high he is already "in the system"
what are the names between you and Patrick?
I couldn't find him in the records but some of his children, I did.
which child? (dates and places)
Is this him?
what were the names of his children?
His children all born 1860's-1870's in Virginia. all named O'Connor, Patrick Beauregard, Bridget, Hanora (Anna),Thomas, and William.
here you go - the family already in FamilySearch
now what are the names between YOU and Patrick?
I found them!
now you just need to "connect them" to you (if they arent already)
thats why I was asking about the names between you and them - to ensure they are all linked together.
no sorry, he was buried at Mount Olivette in Wash. D.C.
But I did find some records for them. Thanks so much.
Yup that's it! You win!
Between me and him P. B. O'Connor, Margaret O'Connor, William p. Gleason
I Understand. I guess I was hoping by importing a file I could save time with all the siblings, cousins, you know, all that stuff. Marriages, addresses and such. But I guess I will just take the time to build it here. Not like I don't have the time, right?
Here is William P Gleason -
Is he your father?
you just need to make sure you are connected to him.
for each person - you need to check to see if the person is not already in the system.
Yes, you got it! Thank you so much!
Thank you so much for the links Dennis and for your help!
Thank you Brett and do not worry, I will not download it. It is much easier that I thought to connect people and get their info. I would never do anything to compromise the beauty that is Family Search. 😉
I will not UPLOAD it rather. I got it. Thanks again.