Is it possible to start a tree for another family?
A former teacher of mine died two years ago. I can find a record of his birth in a search (https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:QVQ2-YG3T) but I cannot find out how to create an ID for him and start a tree using information provided in his obituary. I have in the past added new family members to other families not closely related to me, but in this case there is no existing entry for any of his family members that I know of.
The information below from the FamilySearch Help Center should assist you.
How do I add an unconnected person to Family Tree?
Article Id: 1132
May 31, 2022
You can add individuals who are not connected to your family line.
You could add an unconnected person who has a probable family relationship that you cannot verify. For example, you could add people who have the same last names and who resided in the same small geographical areas as known ancestors.
Tip: When you add an unconnected person, it is helpful to record the ID number of the new record or follow that person for future reference.
- While signed into FamilySearch.org, click Family Tree and select any option in the drop-down menu.
- Click Recents on the menu bar that appears at the top of the page.
- At the bottom of the list of recents, click Add Unconnected Person.
- Enter information about the person, and click Next.
- Review the search results. If you find the right person, click View Person.
- If you do not see the person in the search results, click Create Person.
Steps (mobile app)
- In the Family Tree mobile app, open your list of recently viewed people:
- Android: In the top-right corner, tap icon that looks like 2 people.
- Apple iOS: In the bottom toolbar, tap Recents.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list. If your list is long, wait for list items to load, and keep scrolling.
- Tap Add Unconnected Person.
- Enter information about the person and tap Next.
- Review the search results. If you find the right person, tap Add Person.
- If you do not see the person in the search results, tap Create New.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Currently, the Add Unconnected Person feature is not available on Family Tree Lite.
How do I add a family member to the pedigree in Family Tree?
How do I restore a deleted record for a person in Family Tree?
How do I delete a person from Family Tree?1
Julia Szent-Györgyi ✭✭✭✭✭
To add an unconnected person, use the button at the bottom of the Recents menu. You should of course check first for an existing profile or family, but it sounds like you've already done that.1
Thank you both, that is what I wanted to do. I had searched for it under help topics but obviously didn't use "unconnected person".
The person did not have an ID, nor did his mother. When I started adding his father on the basis of simply knowing his names I then found an existing record for the father which allowed me to connect this person a little bit more to the family tree (plus several other of his recently deceased siblings).0