Travel to "Point in time" and see "Point of view" of ancestor
A method to view the geo/political and human environment in a point in time from the ancestor's perspective. It would make the process less technical and more human to step into the shoes of our ancestor and understand their environment...
(Disclaimer: I am a Human Centric Design Consultant, i'm doing this stuff for a living. so if interested i'm more than happy to think this through further and create some UX documentation)
The timeline map is a good start, but it only shows some basics from a birds eye-view...
I would want to select a person, a specific time (maye a timeline slider that updates the content to a satisfying view) and see the age, location and family of siblings, family and extended family, political situation, historical events, closest churches and schools and their data sources.
To tell this experience in a story:
- I select Johann Müller in the year 1864 who lived that year Braunschweig, Germany.
- I see a page displaying the Point in Time ... Johann's age, marital status and home address, etc...
- Johann is listed as a Labourer, so they are presumably rather poor. .. resources and insights on how ancestors in northern germany lived around that time.
- It shows an old map of the city where i can see a sugar factory close by. (pointers to braunschweig archive with related industry records)
- His wife Martha Schmidt was born in Hannover and has a child from a previous marriage who is 9 years old, also born in Hannover. Records or sources of nearby schools are displayed...
- I can add connections to God-Father's and God-Mother's
- They lost 4 children (ages, locations, ...). the church and cemetery from the death records are highlighted on a map.
- I see Johann's parents, they are still alive and in their mid 60's. I see they live 60km away in Hainholz, Hannover.
- I see Johann's sister Marie Luise, who left for the US 5 years ago and got married in Hannover to Lucas Reinecke ....
- I see Preussen is at war with denmark and a map displaying borders from Denmark now Hannover, highlighting locations of relevant birth records, that are now in range, but were before Danish only
- I see a Name cloud of the most common relative's names.
- I see a location cloud of the same
- I can add a DNA and Haplogroup marker for confirmed connections
i also would love a 3d relationship tree that allows to investigate connections between families...