Feedback on the redesigned search interface
Thank you for investing effort in modernizing the record search interface. I thought I might offer up my reactions.
- I like the filter at the top. Saves space and intuitive.
- I really like that you remember that I chose "More Options" and "Exact Search" between sessions! That saves me a couple clicks.
- Moving the advanced search/filter options from left sidebar to right is not on its own a big thing, but having it and the detailed search results in the same real estate is a bit frustrating. I am constantly closing and re-opening panels to tweak and view the results
- I preferred having the detailed search results appear in a modal/dialogue. With the new drawer layout, the limited space available requires a good amount more scrolling to see all details.
- The layout of the advanced search panel has more vertical space between form fields, labels, and checkboxes, which also forces more scrolling, especially for the search options that appear at the bottom of the panel. It feels like it could be tightened up a lot.
- I'm not a huge fan of the text "REMOVE" buttons. An X is well understood by browsers, even used on the home page, and would help reduce the amount of scrolling needed. Perhaps hovering on the X could show a tooltip with the action and also shade the background of the items that would be removed to clarify?
I appreciate the great resource that you provide, and am eager to see your ongoing tweaking of the interface.