Old and new technical problems with the Community platform
I want to make you aware of technical problems that I've had with the Community platform. These problems happened this year before the upgrade on November 1st and after the upgrade. The technical problems occurred when I was on the German Genealogy Research Group.
The first technical problem occurred on September 20th when several previous comments on my posts by one of the Community Translators suddenly went missing. The comments (i.e. answers to my questions) were made from July 12 to September 1st and included several German to English translations that I had requested on 11 different posts. On the day that the comments went missing, I think that I clicked to leave a comment to an answer and very suddenly the screen changed and went blank. I think it was a bug in the system that had caused it. All of those missing translations and answers to my questions are for my German research log and I want to be able to refer back to them and add information to the FamilySearch Tree. Can you please look into this problem and restore those translations and comments to my Discussions page.
The second technical problem happened this week when I had trouble with a Draft that I created. When I tried to post it, I got a "Permission Problem" screen and the Draft was missing.
Thank you for your help!