Some indexers are having difficulty with dates for United States—Enlisted and Officer Muster Rolls
M3CR-6M6. I started reviewing on this project this afternoon. The first two batches had the correct dates. The next two had incorrect dates according to the project instructions:
- The date at the top of a roster or roll may be used for all entries as the enlistment date if the entries don't contain their own individual enlistment dates.
- When multiple dates are present on the image, please choose the military date based on the following hierarchy:
- Enlistment date
- Muster roll or monthly roster date
- Any other applicable military date
- If there is a transfer record and each name has a day, such as "24th," or month or year, and there is a complete date recorded at the top or bottom of the page, use the complete date for each person on the record.
The problems that I am seeing are:
#1 - as seen in the example above, roll date is used for entire list when it should be the enlistment dates for each individual.
#2- date fields are marked blank when dates can be found on previous reference pages of the roll.
#3- when a date range is given at the top of the roll, the first date which is actually the date of the previous roll, is being used instead of the second date which is the date of the current roll.
I thought that if I posted this some indexers doing these rolls might review the instructions.
Hope my interpretations of the instructions are correct and that this might be helpful to some indexers.
I hope we are all enjoying working on all of these projects. I am!!