Opening a batch on an IPad
I am no longer able to open batches on my IPad Pro. My page on the Web Indexing site opens. I can view that the batch is there but I get an error message when I attempt to open it.
Hi Kathryn. Try this.
Restart your iPad
- Press and hold either volume button and the top button until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. ...
- To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.
See if that helps
If a power cycle/restart does not resolve your issue, perform a soft reset. Press and quickly release the Volume up button > press and quickly release the Volume down button > press and hold the Top button until you see the Apple logo.
Then let it complete rebooting.
If the above suggestions don’t work then try clearing Safari’s browser history. You could try this one first
Go to Settings>Safari and scroll until you see something like this and poke on the blue writing (Clear History and Website Data)1
Thank you so much for making those excellent suggestions.
It is still not working unfortunately.
When I go to the Web Indexing page I see the site and I see my batch listed. When I click to open the batch I see the FamilySearch Tree header and a "Advanced Project Reminder" comes on. When I click OK I see the batch fleetingly and I can read the name of the batch at the top but then the "Advanced Project Reminder" comes on again. This loop continues a few times. If I continue clicking on the reminder a few times I then get an error message. For this batch the error message is:
A problem repeatedly occurred on "https://www.familysearch.org/indexing/batch/4b795f92-36cb-4870-8100-195af8a60b81".
This error message is similar to the first message I sent you with my initial message but the numbers are different perhaps because it is for a different batch.
It seems like the connection is made to Family Search but then the connection is interrupted. Is it possible that for some technical reason the connection is terminated on the Family Search end. I only have this difficulty on my IPad. I am able to Index and Review without difficulty on my computer.0
My wife and I are having the same problem. This began several months ago and has steadily gotten worse so that we can no longer open any batch. We have both tried the suggestions made here and from FamilySearch to no avail. I have tried both Chrome and Safari browsers with the same results. I really miss indexing on my iPad.
Everything works find on my PC.0
As an addendum to my previous comment I have learned that I am able to open the same batches on my iPhone 8 in Safari. Do indexing on an iPhone is not a very practical solution. But I find it interesting that it does not work on my iPad but it does work on my iPhone.
As an addendum to my previous comment I have learned that I’m able to open the same batches on my iPhone 8 in safari. Doing indexing on an iPhone is not a very practical solution. But I find it interesting that it does not work on my iPad but it does work on my iPhone.
I’m hoping some curious soul will be able to help figure this out.0
So sorry that is happening @Kathryn Milner and @BrittACummings . Great suggestions @John Empoliti. You might also try rotating your iPad screen position. You may need to unlock your screen in order to rotate it. I was having a similar problem, and rotating my screen solved it.2
Also make sure you have the latest Operating System on your Ipad-Pro - 15.3 (original release 9/20/21, updated as recently as Jan. 26 2022)2
(just a guess as to why this is happening now/suddenly) I agree with Melissa that the Operating System/Safari needs to be updated.
It seems as if FamilySearch has updated how various parts of the website (Indexing, Search, etc) detect/react to version of browser or Operating System you are using. Security issues are becoming more of a concern. I believe that is the reasoning behind some of these changes (they want to make sure you are up-to-date to prevent exposure to these many security issues - unfortunate effect of cyber warfare).0
@Kathryn Milner and @BrittACummings .
I assume that you've tried all previous suggestions, including clearing browsing history, updating to the latest version of the operating system, doing a soft and hard reset, and they have not worked.
The last-ditch option is to do a factory reset on your iPad. Please: Do your homework by reading the following article, doing other research for yourself, and possibly involving Apple support. You will want to backup your device to the cloud or a computer using iTunes beforehand. Please: don't do this factory reset unless you're sure you understand what you're doing or are working with Apple. The article's last section suggests a couple of reset options beyond what you've already done but short of a full factory reset. Be sure to read it all. Remember the old carpenter's adage: "Measure twice, cut once."
I can't promise that this will work, but if you want your iPad to work for indexing and all else has failed, you might be willing to try this drastic remedy. Please: Contact Apple for help if you feel uncertain at all. I'm not an iPad expert, just a long-time user.0
I would not do a factory reset just to be able to index - ever.
P.S. when the Ipads or the Macs get updated, there is usually a phone update too. These devices don't auto update even when you click the automatic update feature.0
Thank you everyone. Rotating the screen worked! Hopefully @KathrynMillerGreenwald1 will see this response and test it. Hopefully, development has been notified as this would seem to be a bug of some type.5
like others, my iPads no longer work. Have latest version, tried rotate. And I would concur with another user- one should NOT have to factory reset an iPad to index. This issue appears to been going on for some time. Sure be nice to know when it might be fixed and/or addressed.0