Error in relation to Pocahontas
I was looking through my genealogy and found two branches that trace back to Pocahontas. One of them is incorrect. One source is through this very site and the other is through another ancestry site. The issue is with Pocahontas' granddaughter- Christian Pettus. In one of my branches, she is shown to have married a Thomas Flood, and together they had a child together- Mabel Seate. In Family Search's own records it shows that Mabel was born in 1633 and Christian Pettus being born in 1636. If we do the math, that isn't possible. I need to have the record removed from the branch that Mabel Seate is found in.
Explain what you mean in " two branches that trace back to Pocahontas. One of them is incorrect. One source is through this very site and the other is through another ancestry site. "
What do you meant by "one source is through this very site". Are you telling me that is listed incorrectly in the tree?
I had to hunt for the person page of Mabel Seate to work out what you meant, so in the future, re-read your explanation and make sure it can be understood by others so they can help you.
Yes it seems to be incorrect. Her birth date was originally listed as 1658 on her page (Mabel Seate LCV4-F55.)
Her record has undergone many changes and merges done by various people since 2012.
If you want to look at those changes and those merges, I suggest you get into her page, then
- Find "Latest Changes" on the right hand side of her page.
- click on "Show All"
- There is a filter for you to click on certain things to see what changes have been made, so
- Click on "Filter"
- Once the filter opens, click on "Birth" and you will see the changes that have been made to her birth.
You can restore the birth date that you know was correct by clicking on RESTORE
- Now go and use the filter to see the merges that have been done
- To do that scroll down the list in the filter to find "Merges" and when you click, you will see all merges. It will show you which records have been merged and as a result which has survived and which has been deleted. Deleted records can be looked at and can be restored if you want to sort things out
TAKE CARE and keep good notes on what you do and always give good reasons. All that you do will appear under your name in Latest Changes.
As for the Ancestry.com record, that you are referring to, I am assuming it is in a PUBLIC TREE. Don't worry about it. It's their opinion only unless they have attached source records to prove their work.
Hope this is a help. Gail Hellings1