Hi After I up loaded the GED file to Family Search from Ancestry.com, there are no photos up loaded. Also of the over 1500 persons in my Ancestry file only half have been uploaded When I go to the Search under Genealogies I have to add the other 750, why is this? Also why when uploading the GED file it doesn't create a family under Family Tree? many thanks Rick
We understand that you are concerned because you believed everything, including photos and other media, would automatically move to the FamilySearch Family Tree just by uploading your GEDCOM at FamilySearch.
Because we want to avoid duplication, you must compare what is in your GEDCOM with what is already in Family Tree as described in the following knowledge article if you wish your information to become part of Family Tree. For privacy reasons, you cannot add living people or invalid records which have no dates into Family Tree through you GEDCOM. Those must be added manually. Please carefully review the following knowledge article which provides details about how to do your comparison so that you can copy new information into Family Tree.
Please note that sources and photos do not move through your submission, but you can add them later if you choose to do so.
GEDCOMS are uploaded to the Pedigree Resource File automatically. They cannot be edited, however, or changed in any way but are submitted for preservation as described in this additional article.
We hope the information we have provided will be helpful as you work in Family Tree with the information you have shared from your Ancestry Tree. Keep in mind that the FamilySearch Family Tree is not a private tree, but is a shared, World-wide tree that is available for all users who work at FamilySearch. We wish you success with your continued family history efforts.2
I believe the GEDcom import only creates entries for people who are explicitly marked as deceased in the originating file. That is, it is insufficient to have a death date or place entered; the GEDcom field <DEAT> must contain a Y. (This behavior is contrary to the current specifications for the file standard.)
As for why the import doesn't create a family under Family Tree: heaven forbid! FamilySearch's Family Tree is a "one world tree": an open-edit, single tree for everyone, intended to have one and only one profile for every person who ever lived. (Yes, a lofty and far-off goal.) The chance is very, very high that many of the people in your file are already on the tree on FS, so appending your file would create hundreds of duplicates. This is to be avoided. Instead, you should go through your tree one person at a time, and improve and fix things based on your evidence. Yes, it's time-consuming, but you don't need to hurry. None of these people are going anywhere, any more.1
Welcome to the "Community.FamilySearch" Forum.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron ...
Further to what has already been proffered ...
Personally, I really wish 'FamilySearch' would ...
Just STOP allowing the "Upload" of GEDCOM Files into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' altogether ...
There is just NO need to "Upload" of GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ...
Under ANY circumstance, even if one's "ancestral" Lines are NOT already in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ...
As I always 'say', to User/Patrons, who mention the "Upload" of GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ...
You can; but ...
Please DO NOT Upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Upload the GEDCOM Files in the "Genealogies" Part of 'FamilySearch', that is fine; but, please NOT into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Some of the reasons that Users/Patrons (like myself) DO NOT want the ability to upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' are:
(1) It is most likely that individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File are ALREADY in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'; and, most Users/Patrons DO NOT even take the time to look to see if any one in their GEDCOM File is already in "Family Tree", in some instances, negating the need to even upload the GEDCOM File.
(2) There has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons, using the "Compare" process (of the upload) have "Dismissed" a "Possible" Match with an individual/person already in "Family Tree"; so that, their "Record", from their GEDCOM File, is loaded into "Family Tree", regardless; just so that, their "Record" appears in "Family Tree" (and, in some instances, for Members of the Church, so they can do the "Temple" Work, despite the fact that the "Temple" Work is ALREADY done with the "Possible" Match with the individual/person already in "Family Tree").
(3) Even with the "Compare" process (of the upload), there has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons have uploaded THEIR version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" that has been there for MANY years and is well documented and "Sources" - in many instances obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources".
(4) If an individual/person is ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch", there is NO need to up uploaded one's version of an individual/person from one's own GEDCOM File - just take note of the the 'FamilySearch Person Identifier' (PID) of the individual/person that is ALREADY in "Family Tree"; and, one can go back later to ensure what information/detail is recorded and attached for that individual/person. Just DO NOT uploaded one's version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" - obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources" ALREADY in place/on record.
(5) The "Hours" (sometimes "Days"; or, even, "Weekes") of work, by other Users/Patrons, that can be needed to CORRECT the DAMAGE done by the upload of a GEDCOM File can be disheartening.
I am sorry ... 'off my soap box' ...
Enter (ie. 'Create') the individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' one at a time - on a one by one basis.
Many of the individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File, most probably, ALREADY exist in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Only one or two generations of the "Living" individuals/persons; and, perhaps, maybe, only one or two generations of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, may be required to be entered/input into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch"; BEFORE, some of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, from one's Ancestral Lines, ALREADY existing in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', are discovered.
Use the "Find" facility/function/feature to Search "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', one may be surprised to find some (if not, many) of them already there.
Many well established and documented (eg. "Sourced") individuals/person in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' have been RUINED, by the upload, a GEDCOM File, into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
I hope this puts things into perspective.
Here an old 'standby' of mine, that I have previously proffered on occasion ...
Most new (and, some old) Users/Patrons DO NOT understand the basic 'nature' and 'premise' of "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', when they join in.
Please let me explain ...
We do not have our OWN "Tree" in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
We ONLY have "Branches" (ie. Ancestral" lines), that are interconnected, in this SINGLE "One" World "Tree", for all of us, that is "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
"Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' is NOT like 'On-Line' "Websites" (eg. "Ancestry_com"; or "MyHeritage_com"; or, the like); and/or, 'standalone' personal (computer) programmes (eg, the OLD, now no longer supported, "PAF"; or, "Ancestral Quest"; or, the like).
We DO NOT have "Private"/"Personal" 'Trees' in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' like other 'On-Line' "Websites"; and/or, 'standalone' personal (computer) programmes.
We do not even, own; or, manage; and, are NOT even responsible for, the "Deceased" individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
And, most importantly ...
We DO NOT even, own; or, manage; and, are NOT even responsible for, Our OWN "Deceased" Ancestors/Family/Relatives in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
"Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' is built on a "Open Edit" Platform - hence, why any registered User/Patron can "Edit" (ie. Add, Delete; and/or, Change) ANY "Deceased" individual/person in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
The latter just supporting, that GEDCOM Files are just NOT necessary to be "Uploaded" into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Hi @RichardHolt51, it is just me again.
The personal opinions of other guests who work at FamilySearch are very valuable as we work to determine how we want to share information we may have gathered elsewhere about our family.
As a moderator at FamilySearch I want you to be aware that you DO have a right to upload your GEDCOM and copy your new information into the Family Tree program despite what others may choose to do personally. Sometimes the comments of others can be overwhelming. Basically as you make your decision about how to proceed, just remember the following which is from the FamilySearch knowledge base:
1) A GEDCOM is copied as uploaded into the Pedigree Resource File and it remains in that part of FamilySearch exactly as uploaded unless the contributor chooses to delete it later. If all you want to do is preserve your efforts through your GEDCOM, upload it but don't do the review to copy new information into Family Tree.
2) Nothing from your GEDCOM will appear in Family Tree unless you review each record that is in your GEDCOM. You must determine what is "new" information and what may already be part of Family Tree, which is a shared, World-wide Tree that we share with all other users.
3) Living people cannot be added to Family Tree through a GEDCOM contribution. To protect their privacy, you are required to enter them manually, and often living people are needed to create a bridge to the deceased individuals you do add through your GEDCOM submission.
I understood your initial comment to be a concern about not having photos and sources added automatically when you submitted your GEDCOM, which is true. They are not automatically added but you must add them manually, however, this has nothing to do with whether it was appropriate to submit a GEDCOM at FamilySearch. Please remember that was your personal decision and right despite the opinions of other users.2