I keep getting an error message when I try to index on my iPad. What is going on here? I used to be able to index anything on my iPad
It may well be a tech issue. We have found that if you turn your iPad vertically instead of horizontally it will often solve the problem. If that does not work let us know so we can try some other solution.
A sister cam in to the St George Family History Center reported a problem opening batches. She can log in and open the batch on the center’s computers, When I logged on to her Web Indexing using my account and tried to open the same batch (US, Virginia—Marriage Records, 1853–1935I go the same error: A problem repeatedly occurred on “https://www.familysearch.org/indexing/batch/e67eb5a0-aaa8-4ba2- 981f-673163d1a71a”.
I tried using Chrome for iOS and go the same error.
I would try clearing out the familysearch cookies first and then the browser history. Here's the knowledge article on that subject:
If that doesn't work, maybe she should try a different browser. I index with Safari and have no issues on my MacBook, however, the link below recommends Google Chrome. It also goes on to say that if you are operating an Ipad2 with IOS 6 or 7+ to use the Safari only.
The orientation of vertical to horizontal really should not do anything to the operating system of an IPad or the FS programs.
Try the following in this order.
(0) Make sure you’re running the latest version of IPad IOS (Settings>General>Software Updates)
(1) Get out of all apps and browser Windows. Double click the home button to expose what is open, and get rid of them / swipe them away
(2) Clear History and website data on Safari. Go to Settings>Safari and scroll until you see it in blue. It should look like this
(3) Try opening the batch with Safari. If that doesn’t help try step 4.
(4) Restart your iPad (i.e. power cycle). Then try opening the batch again. If that doesn’t work try step 5
(5) Hard restart/reset
When your iPad is active again, then try loading the batch again. If that doesn’t work, then I’m out of ideas.
WARNING: I’m NOT NOT NOT - DEFINITELY NOT recommending that you do a factory device reset.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the steps again. The problem occurs on multiple iOS devices and with multiple users. It affects most batches but I was able to access two batches with no error. We did clear the cache on the iPad and it didn't help. Before she talked to me she did a hard restart.
Sometimes some projects are unavailable to some indexers because of restrictions placed by project managers. I have this issue with Virginia Marriage records. We suggest you try a different project.
I defer to John and have deleted my answer since I think it was comparing apples to oranges!
As the moderator KlaRees says above, what looks like an ominous "error" message might just be a signal that you do not have access rights to that particular project. It could be for geographical or other sorts of reasons. For instance, I can't see any of the Wisconsin projects in my Find Batch screen, and can't even open a Shared Batch from any of those Projects (I get a message about Permission or Access). Perhaps if you post a screenshot of the "error" message you get, one of the moderators can narrow down what that kind of message signifies. It might be a red herring.
But if a specific person can open and work on a specific batch on a non-IOS device (PC or MAC), but cannot open and work on it on an IOS device (iPad) then that might be diagnostic of a deeper problem that the FS software engineers need to know about, with details.