Religious Titles (Clergy?)
I am researching a gentleman who has (so far) 3 different cleric? titles? During 3 different time periods. I found this information in a marriage index which listed him with the different titles.
The dates and titles were as follows:
- 1890 - Reverend
- 1894 - Elder
- 1896 - Minister of the Gospel
This was in Christian County, MO
- I’m wondering if these titles are specific to a certain religion/denomination?
- what was required of a person to obtain each title
- what does each one signify... like is “X” allowed to do something that “Y” and “Z” aren’t allowed to do?
- what kind of historical may be available for this person based on this information? And where might I be able to search for these records online or otherwise? (Suggestions from the community here are most welcome😊)
- would any of these titles be required to travel a lot? (To Preach the Gospel and save souls etc)
- were they allowed to be married/divorced/have children etc?
thank you all for your time and attention 😊