Is there a way to link a tree built in AncestryDNA to an FamilySearch tree?
Is there a way to migrate the data so I don’t have to redo the 100+ units added to my family’s tree in AncestryDNA? Saw this mentioned during a Roots Tech session and not able to figure out how to migrate or link the data. Please help. Thank you.
I am assuming that you have an actual tree that you created in Ancestry using DNA. The only way to add a tree to FamilySearch from Ancestry is to download a GEDCOM file from Ancestry and upload that into FamilySearch. It is quite a detailed process, The details on how to do that are described in the following Help Center article:1
To learn about using DNA FamilySearch, please read the article below:
Do you have a connected account between FamilySearch and Ancestry.com? If so, the following article may be helpful.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who have connected their Church account with Ancestry.com can transfer four generations of information from Family Tree to a tree on Ancestry.com.
This article introduces the information. You can learn more in the article Church of Jesus Christ-Ancestry® Membership on Ancestry.com. For questions about using Ancestry features, call 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) or visit the Ancestry website.
Step. 1. Create a tree on Ancestry
- Make sure you are signed in to both FamilySearch and Ancestry.
- On the menu bar at the top of the Ancestry page, click Trees.
- Click Import tree from FamilySearch.
- In the Name your family tree field, Ancestry suggests a name for your tree. You can edit this name, if you like.
- The system selects Allow others to view this tree by default. If you do not want others to see your tree, clear the check box by clicking on it.
- Click Save.
- Click Continue.
- Click Go to Tree.
Step 2. Transfer information from Family Tree
- On the menu bar at the top of the Ancestry page, click Trees.
- Click the tree you want to view.
- Click the name of the person whose line you want to extend.
- Click Profile.
- In the upper right corner of the page, click the FamilySearch logo.
- Click Add relatives from FamilySearch.
- Near the bottom of the page, click Add up to 4 generations for this person.
- Click Continue.
Note: A message indicates that the system is adding up to four generations. When the import is complete, you see the profile page. The parents appear on the right side of the page.
Tip: If you receive the error message "Your FamilySearch authorization has expired; please sign in to renew it," click Sign In, and sign in again.
How do I set up my Ancestry account?
How do I connect a name on my tree on Ancestry.com to a person in Family Tree?
How do I transfer sources between Ancestry and Family Tree?
If you do not have a connected account , you may wish to go to our Solutions Gallery, (found at the bottom of most FamilySearch pages), and look under Family Tree Management, for a partner program that interfaces with FamilySearch, so you can transfer information both ways. Use the Filters to see only partner programs that "Reads information from FamilySearch" and "Updates information into FamilySearch".
Wishing you success in sharing information between Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.1
Another thought so you don't need to add in the ancestors you have found in your Ancestry DNA:
Choose an ancestor from your Ancestry account and search for him/her in FamilySearch. You may find that they are already there and just need to be attached to your Family Tree.
After you upload a GEDCOM file to the Pedigree Resource File, you have the option to copy the information into Family Tree. Be aware, however, that doing so can create duplicate records in Family Tree, add information that is incorrect, or even erase information that another user has contributed. In many cases, it may be more appropriate to leave the information in the Pedigree Resource File where it can be read and referred to as necessary.
Welcome to the "Community.FamilySearch" Forum.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron ...
Furthermore to what has already been proffered ...
Just as an aside ...
So that you are aware ...
Here an old 'standby' of mine, that I have previously proffered on occasion ...
Most new (and, some old) Users/Patrons DO NOT understand the basic 'nature' and 'premise' of "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', when they join in.
Please let me explain ...
We do not have our OWN "Tree" in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
We ONLY have "Branches" (ie. Ancestral" lines), that are interconnected, in this SINGLE "One" World "Tree", for all of us, that is "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
"Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' is NOT like 'On-Line' "Websites" (eg. "Ancestry_com"; or "MyHeritage_com"; or, the like); and/or, 'standalone' personal (computer) programmes (eg, the OLD, now no longer supported, "PAF"; or, "Ancestral Quest"; or, the like).
We DO NOT have "Private"/"Personal" 'Trees' in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' like other 'On-Line' "Websites"; and/or, 'standalone' personal (computer) programmes.
We do not even, own; or, manage; and, are NOT even responsible for, the "Deceased" individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
And, most importantly ...
We DO NOT even, own; or, manage; and, are NOT even responsible for, Our OWN "Deceased" Ancestors/Family/Relatives in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
"Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' is built on a "Open Edit" Platform - hence, why any registered User/Patron can "Edit" (ie. Add, Delete; and/or, Change) ANY "Deceased" individual/person in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
I hope this helps, somewhat.
As, to "Migrating" your 'Tree' from "Ancestry_com" ...
Especially, through a GEDCOM File ...
I really wish 'FamilySearch' would ...
Just STOP allowing the "Upload" of GEDCOM Files into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' altogether ...
There is just NO need to "Upload" of GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ...
[ Under ANY circumstance...even if one's "ancestral" Lines are NOT already in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ]
As I always 'say', to User/Patrons, who mention the "Upload" of GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' ...
You can; but ...
Please DO NOT Upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Upload the GEDCOM Files in the "Genealogies" Part of 'FamilySearch', that is fine; but, please NOT into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Some of the reasons that Users/Patrons (like myself) DO NOT want the ability to upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' are:
(1) It is most likely that individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File are ALREADY in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'; and, most Users/Patrons DO NOT even take the time to look to see if any one in their GEDCOM File is already in "Family Tree", in some instances, negating the need to even upload the GEDCOM File.
(2) There has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons, using the "Compare" process (of the upload) have "Dismissed" a "Possible" Match with an individual/person already in "Family Tree"; so that, their "Record", from their GEDCOM File, is loaded into "Family Tree", regardless; just so that, their "Record" appears in "Family Tree" (and, in some instances, for Members of the Church, so they can do the "Temple" Work, despite the fact that the "Temple" Work is ALREADY done with the "Possible" Match with the individual/person already in "Family Tree").
(3) Even with the "Compare" process (of the upload), there has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons have uploaded THEIR version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" that has been there for MANY years and is well documented and "Sources" - in many instances obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources".
(4) If an individual/person is ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch", there is NO need to up uploaded one's version of an individual/person from one's own GEDCOM File - just take note of the the 'FamilySearch Person Identifier' (PID) of the individual/person that is ALREADY in "Family Tree"; and, one can go back later to ensure what information/detail is recorded and attached for that individual/person. Just DO NOT uploaded one's version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" - obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources" ALREADY in place/on record.
(5) The "Hours" (sometimes "Days"; or, even, "Weekes") of work, by other Users/Patrons, that can be needed to CORRECT the DAMAGE done by the upload of a GEDCOM File can be disheartening.
I am sorry ... 'off my soap box' ...
Enter (ie. 'Create') the individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' one at a time - on a one by one basis.
Many of the individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File, most probably, ALREADY exist in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Only one or two generations of the "Living" individuals/persons; and, perhaps, maybe, only one or two generations of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, may be required to be entered/input into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch"; BEFORE, some of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, from one's Ancestral Lines, ALREADY existing in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', are discovered.
Use the "Find" facility/function/feature to Search "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', one may be surprised to find some (if not, many) of them already there.
Many well established and documented (eg. "Sourced") individuals/person in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' have been RUINED, by the upload, a GEDCOM File, into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
I hope this puts things into perspective.