When adding pictures and other memories, is it best to load them directly to your gallery or to an ancestor's page?
Loading directly to an ancestor's will still create a copy in your gallery.
Are there advantages to uploading first to your gallery?
In regard to your question: When adding pictures and other memories, is it best to load them directly to your gallery or to an ancestor's page?
Since everything that is uploaded directly to the ancestor's page, also automatically goes in to the Gallery, it may depend on what your plans are for the photo.. I you are only wanting to tag it to one person, or if it is a group photo that you want to tag to a number of people.
By uploading it into the Gallery first, then tagging it from there , it is a 2 step process. Upload then tag.
If you upload it directly onto the Person page of the Ancestor, there is more steps . Yes it will appear on the ancestors page, but you may also see a red exclamation point, indicating the tagging process still needs another step to complete. In that case ( if on a computer) you would double click the image to open the image viewer, then edit the tag that is there (which would be the entire photo) , then re-tag the photo.3
I have to correct my statement above
It now seems that sometime in the past year - FamilySearch did change a limitation that prevented people from uploading more than like 3-4 items (in a single batch) to a profile record in Familytree (rather you had to do it one by one) also it seems to be that the "throughput speed" is now similar to what it is in the general gallery - much better than it was.
I do note however that multi-item-select and processing doesn't work the way it does in the Gallery
(like for example doing a multi item select and then delete does not work on the profile level)
and most people know the sorting/filtering doesnt work at the profile level.0
We received your question how to add a photo to Memories.
This is probably the first step.
The next step is to add a tag to the photo and then decide if you want to create an album.
May we recommend the following steps. Next follow the steps in the Help Center to start tagging photos.
You may not be familiar with the Help center.
At the top of any page on FamilySearch.org, click the Help icon (the small circle with the question mark inside of it).
- A drop-down menu appears. Click the option that you think is most relevant.
- Getting Started teaches you basic concepts for using the website and provides you with information in case you'd like to talk to someone in person about any questions you may have.
- Help Center brings you to the Help Center home page, where you can search all resources or browse by topic.
- Contact Us offers a variety of ways to reach FamilySearch Support.
- Community brings you to a place where you can collaborate with others who have similar interests in the challenging but rewarding work of genealogy. You can browse or ask or answer questions. You can also find and join groups on specific subjects.
- Research Wiki allows you to search through the compiled resources of the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Helper Resources links you to the Planner and other resources that you can use to help others with their family history.
- How do I change my username and password?
Thank you for the work you are doing in Family Tree and we wish you much success.0
Thank you for your question about uploading photos. If you add the photo directly to the person page, and it contains more than one person, It can be problematic when tagging, as the tag can be added to the entire photo, and not the individuals, You may have to edit a tag, to reposition it. Here are the steps:
You can add a photo from the Memories tab of an individual. The system automatically creates a person tag and links the photo to the person. The system does not know where to place the box on the photo. You can resize and reposition the box so that the correct part of the photo displays.
- Find the photo in your gallery, and click to open it in the viewer.
- On the right, click the drop-down arrow beside the name of the tagged person.
- To resize and reposition the box, click Edit Tag.
- To reposition the tag, click in the box, and drag it to the desired position.
- To resize the box, click a corner, and drag it to the correct size.
- Click Save.
To avoid the problem, try adding photos from the Memories gallery rather than from a person page. Then add the relevant tags.
Good luck in uploaded photos, and tagging them.0
one of the biggest advantages in uploading to the Gallery - hasn't even been mentioned
that of the fact that upload throughput for the gallery - is MANY times faster than uploads to the profile page of a person.
You can upload like 3-4 items to a profile page in a single batch - thats the max (per batch).
BUT you can upload over 100 items to the gallery in a single batch. and it usually completes within a minute or so. (depending of course of how big the size of the files is)
This fact about Gallery throughput being much higher than profile upload speeds - I dont think is formally documented anywhere on FS1