Wrong email used when setting up account
My son typed in the wrong email when setting up his FamilySearch account and then forgot the password associated with the account. So when he went to logon he tried to reset the password, but the email to recover his password went to the wrong email he had typed in...so he couldn't recover his password. Can you reset his account for him? He tried to just recreate an account, but then got the message that his record number was already associated with another account (i.e., the account he typed the wrong email in for).
You can recover reset your son’s username & reset the password using his Church Record Number.
Once you have access to his account you may change the email address associated with the account. See https://www.familysearch.org/help/helpcenter/article/i-forgot-my-familysearch-password-or-username0
if the account was never verified, you could wait 48 hours and re-register for an account
If it was, the best thing to do would be to have him call 1-866-406-1830, and ask to be connected to the account department. He can do the call himself, if he is 13 or over. If he is between 8-12, you will need to be present when he calls.
Because of Pioneer Day things, you may have to wait a day or so.
Good luck getting his account up and running.0
HI In addition to Miss Jesse's answer, the parent can go into the parents chuchofjesuschrist.org (if the child is between 8 - 18 years of age) and then Account Settings to reset the password; then go into Family Search to change the email under settings. Please wait between 24 - 48 hours for the email change to be in effect.
Thank you Family Search1
Good Morning Jenica
Below is the Knowledge Article for recovering the password and username and how to rest the same.If you follow these instructions you won't go wrong.
You can recover a forgotten username or reset a forgotten password for your account using whichever option is directly linked to your account:
- Your mobile phone number
- Your email address
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may be able to use their Church record number as a recovery option.
- In the upper right corner of the FamilySearch website, click Sign In.
- Do one of the following, depending on whether you have forgotten your username only, your password only, or both:
- Username only: Click username beneath the Password field.
- Password only: Click password beneath the Password field.
- Both: Click username beneath the Password field. Then, on the next screen, click the checkbox I do not remember my password.
- Select a recovery method based on information you provided during registration.
- Mobile: Enter your mobile number. A verification code goes to that number. Enter the verification code into the provided field, and click Continue.
- Email: Enter your email address. An email with all of the usernames associated with that email account comes to you. Open the email, and click the username that you want to use.
- Church Record Number: Enter your birth date and Church record number, and click OK.
- What happens next depends on whether you indicated that you forgot:
- Username only: The sign-in page reappears, with your username automatically filled in. You can now enter your password, and sign in. Or if you find that you also forgot your password, click password to reset your password.
- Password only: The option to reset your password appears.
- Both: The option to reset your password appears. Your username appears on the screen.
- If you need to reset your password, do this:
- Enter a new password.
- Verify the new password
- Click Reset.
Above is the knowledge Article used to recover password/username and to rest them if necessary. I sincerely hope this is what you wanted to know. Thank you for using the Community Section of FamilySearch0