How far back do we go?
I have been going through the other category to check out questions there. I have moved a few articles to a more appropriate category. Most of the questions seem to have been moved or answered. There are 81 pages of questions. I have gone back about four layers back. How far back would it be useful for a missionary to go?
Colin Ramsbottom mod
These are my personal feelings and not 'official' guidelines...
As 'moderators' in Community, our role is to ensure that questions in the Community are, as a minimum....
2. they have the BEST answer that can be given (with links to 'official' Help Centre articles)
3. that they are 'Tagged' with the most relevant Keywords so that they can easily be found by others looking for the same subject.
To my mind, you can go back to questions posted a long time ago and consider.....
- If there was a better answer that could have been given at the time- if not, add it now (you could start off by saying.... I appreciate you posted your question some time ago, but there is additional information that may have helped.....).
- If the answer included the relevant Knowledge article - if not, add it.
- If the answer was not tagged at the time, add a tag now.
By taking these actions, even well after the time the question was posted, the response will be more easily found by other guests looking for the same information, they will get a more complete response, and be led to the official knowledge article on that subject.
Your latest comment in the feed will bring the question back into the most recent listings in the Q&A section, so your additional comment will be seen as an update and is not wasted.
Hope you find this response useful.2
I would also suggest you evaluate if the question is still relevant anymore. If it is about a function in Family Tree that no longer exists or has has been radically updated; or about some feature of the Familysearch website that likewise is dramatically different now; or has a long list of non-relevant, tangential, or contentious comments, please do not not add any comments or do anything that will bring it back to the top of a topics list.
I can recall some discussions on the old getsatisfaction boards that should stay dead and buried even though the original post was fine.2