I have a record that is two entries. The second is a duplicate. What do I do on entry 2?
can you share the PID (ID Number) of the entry so we can look at it.0
i created an incorrect ID how can i edit/delete that person and add the correct ID0
Thank you for your question about two records for the same person. You can merge them if you are certain.
The easiest way is to merge by ID. Here is the process on the website:
- In Family Tree, display the person page of one of the duplicate records.
- If the Details section is not displayed, click Details.
- Click Merge by ID - It is located in the Tools section, along the right side of the page.
- Enter the ID number of the duplicate individual with capital letters and the hyphen.
- Click Continue. The merge screen opens in a new browser tab.
- Left side: This is the possible duplicate. It is deleted if you merge the records.
- Right side: This is the record you started from. It is saved if you merge the records.
- Decide if the records are about the same person.
- Compare the left and right sides for matching names, dates, places, and family members.
- Read any warning messages on the screen.
- If the record on the left is the most accurate, click Switch to keep it instead.
- If the records are not about the same person, click Not a Match. If the records are about the same person, click Yes Continue. If you are not sure, click Cancel.
- On the surviving record, review all information that has a green background. Highlighted information will be copied to the surviving record when you complete the merge. If this information should not be saved on the surviving record, click Undo.
- Click Continue.
- Finish the merge:
- Review the surviving record.
- If everything looks as it should, click Finish Merge.
- To explain why you merged these records, either select a suggested reason statement or enter one of your own.
- Click Save.
Immediately after the merge and for a short time, an “undo” option is available. It lets you easily unmerge the two records.
Here is the link to these instructions if you wish to print them. They also give the steps for merging using the mobile app.
To find this and other articles in the Help Center, click on the ? in the upper right side of your screen. Click on Help Center at the bottom of the pop-up window and then enter a couple of key words to bring up a list of articles which may have what you are looking for.