I have found several families on 1950 Census indexed only by Surname when the given names are on original? Also it is hard to attach as a source when they are not listed by anything but Surname.
You are correct. Several households were not indexed on that page. I will send a feedback note to the project engineers.
Do you have an ID or a url link for the problem record?
I am looking for Milan McLain (GV41-CFL) and family in 1950 Census. When I search and narrow it down to the 1950 Census, I find the surname listed in Casper, Natrona, Wyoming, United States, which is where they were then. When I on view the image, it comes up showing them by name but looks like that part did not get indexed(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHK-SQH4-W2FD). And I find no way to add the source to the members of the family
Thanks for doing that. What should I do if I find others with the same problem?
Similar problems should be sent to the software engineers via a Feedback button.
While in the Census page image, look on the left side of the screen and see if there is a vertical Feedback button available. If so, click on it, and enter the problem there so the engineers will be able to add it to an error spreadsheet.
Otherwise, post any future problems in the FamilySearch Help-Search section. The 1950 US Census is no longer an active indexing project, so it may not get a quick response posted under Indexing.
Note: I was able to add most of the individual information fields for the McLain family with the access I have. However, the "Census" place information at the top of the forms is not available for me to add. The software engineers are backlogged right now, so please be patient.