Another 1900 U.S. Census problem
The records for this household also have an error:
Hello and thank you for posting this information. I have forwarded this on to the team who is working to find solutions. Thank you for taking the time to send the link. It's very helpful.0
After chatting with another team member, this appears to be an indexing error and not a computer error. Unfortunately, at this time, we are limited on what we can do with indexing errors and we apologize for this. We have a couple of suggestions for you if you were trying to use this particular record as a source.
- Click the Rolland D Hill entry that shows for the son and, using the Edit option, edit as many fields as possible. When attaching as a source you'll need to be sure to note which errors you were not able to correct.
- Another option is to open the census image, click Source Box in the top-right corner of the image viewer then Add to My Source Box. You can attach the census image as the source to each family member, bypassing the indexing errors.
- Copy the census image URL and use it to create a source for each family member.
Editable fields can vary based on a number of certain circumstances. Here is an article we found in the Help Center regarding Indexing Errors.0
My 1900 US Census problem looks like the one mentioned here. See this from Sarpy County, Nebraska, USA.
11 different family members are linked to either Soren or Phey with the line number field set to 75 or 77 only. It is a cross-linked mess.0
I have reviewed the issue regarding the record of Rolland D Hill, in the 1900 United States census, and believe that this is a system error in FamilySearch. As such, I will forward this issue so that it can be reviewed and resolved by the appropriate folks in FamilySearch. Unfortunately, because there is a significant backlog of related work, it would be impossible to suggest when the problem will be fixed.
The problem that I see is that the head of household, Rolland D Hill has been replicated, in the image index, in place of his son, Harry R Hill; and, as a result, we do not see Harry R Hill in the Image Index. That this is a system error can be demonstrated by searching the 1900 United States Census Collection for Harry R Hill, with a birthdate/place of 1900/"Allegheny, Pennsylvania," using the option to search for an exact match.
If this were an Indexing problem, we would not find a result for the above search; however, because we do find a Search Result, we conclude that the name (and record) for Harry R Hill has been indexed and is recognized by the system, notwithstanding that the record shown is for Rolland D Hill. See the Search results here:
As suggested, one option to attach the census record as a source for Harry R Hill, and the family, would be to use the Source Box. This allows you to save the source information to your Source Box and then attach the sources without being impacted by the error.
Thank you for making us aware of this problem.0
Yes, I agree that the image index problem that you suggest is much similar to the 1900 United States census issue first mentioned in this discussion thread. In fact, the census page, for which you provided a link, is replicate with example of this problem.
To ensure that we have sufficient examples of the image index problem, I will also forward this instance of the problem for review and resolution, in the same manner and with the same caveat as mentioned in my earlier note.
Thank you for identifying this problem, With you, I look forward to its resolution.0