Cannot print family file cards from reserved list
Up until recently I had no problem printing family file cards. In the last 24 hrs I have not been able to print family file cards. This is the message I get when trying to print.
"An error occurred, please try again later"
Have been printing for a number of years and have had no problem.
Try resetting your FamilySearch cookies: https://www.familysearch.org/cookies0
I followed the link and reset Family Search Cookies. Now I cannot use the Filter system at all. Must need cookies to operate correctly. How do I restore the cookies. I found the problem with cards not printing. When you use the filter system and select Sealing to parents the system loads all Sealing to parents. Even those with ordinances not yet completed such as Endowment. You cannot print that card until Endowment completed.
That was all the problem was. The system has a flaw in that when you use the filter system and select Sealing to parent and click perform next you get a list with a mixture of cards that are ready to do and those still needing ordinances to be completed before you can print the card.
I checked the boxes to print not aware that those cards could not print as ordinances pending. This is a fault with Family tree. Perform next should only show those people who are now ready to have the sealing completed.
Now I do have a problem in that I have clicked on the reset Cookies. Now the system will not work with the cookies reset.0
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron ...
[ And, I happen to be a Member of the Church ... ]
Just in passing ...
Just curious ...
Question: WHAT, "Operating System"; and, "Browser(s)", are you using?
Some, OLDER Computers; and, "Operating Systems", DO NOT work so well, with the current version, of the "Family Tree" Part, of 'FamilySearch'.
Further Question: ARE your ,"Operating System"; and, "Browser(s)", up-to date?
'FamilySearch', generally only supports (ie. works well with), the LATEST (or, at least, the PREVIOUS) "Versions", of BOTH.
I principally use, the "Browser" of 'Google' "Chrome", with the "Operating System" of "Window 10.
But, I ALSO use the "Browsers" of, 'Mozilla' "FireFox; and, 'Microsoft' "Edge" (the latter, in a 'pinch').
And, ALL with the LATEST "Versions", of each.
I hope, that this may help/assist, somewhat.
Windows 10 & current version of Google. System worked 100% until yesterday when I took advice to reset Cookies. I think those cookies were needed to operate the filter system.
You are right about old versions they can be a problem. Mine is just that I reset the cookies. Not 100% sure how they effect the working of the system.
Thanks for your input though.
As I said, just curious ...
A number, of Users/Patrons, are using, OLDER computers; and, "Operating Systems"; or, are not updating the, "Operating Systems"; and, "Browsers".
As you are, then that can be ruled out.
Sounds like, there could be some problem/issue.
Although, I have not 'seen' any other such posts.
One would expect, that there would (or, will) be more.
[ Only time will tell ... ]
And, there was, a recent "Weekly" Update/Release, on Monday Night/Sunday Morning 'Mountain' Time, this week.
Who knows, that may have had, something to do with it.
I wonder, if they are 'paying around', with the "Printing" of the "Temple" Cards.
Sorry, just a thought.