Correcting place name automation on the discovery person page
I have noticed that if the place name on a record is incomplete that the discovery person page appears to attempt to add a country. In the case of the below example the town exists in more than one country and your match is incorrect. I suggest that you look at the record location to determine the country as it is likely to be a long time before all place name data is correct.
Catherine Frederika Wilhelmina Geyer born 22 Dec 1900 and died 26 Apr 1918. Place of death is Kimberley. Your display indicates Australia. This should be South Africa.
I went to the record to check the place name there - Kimberley without the country. The place name is also not available for editing.
You can Edit her Details: Vitals: Death (1981? https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LR7H-633)
Yes, the Discovery Pages are not editable - but the Details pages are. It takes about a month or more for edits to be reflected in Discovery Pages.0
Brett . ✭✭✭✭✭
Welcome to this "community.FamilySearch" Forum.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron ...
Further to what has already been proffered ...
Just in passing ...
Please be aware, that the "Discovery Pages", in "Ancestors.FamilySearch.org", for the individuals/persons (ie. "Ancestors"), in "Family Tree", of 'FamilySearch', use, the "Standardized" versions of BOTH, the 'Date'; and; the 'Place', rather than, the 'Date'; and, the 'Place'; as, entered/recorded.
That Said ...
For the individual/person, Catharina Fredrika Wilhelmina GEYER, in "Family Tree", of 'FamilySearch'; being, 'FamilySearch Person Identifier': LR7H-633, the 'Place' of "Death", is "Standardised"; as, that of "Kimberly, Western Australia, Australia", rather than what was entered/recorded, of simply "Kimberley".
The User/Patron, who entered that record, may not have bothered to "Standardise" that 'Place' (ie. check on the "Standard" for that 'Place', if there was such then). As such, the FIRST (and, maybe the ONLY) "Standard", of "Kimberly, Western Australia, Australia", was applied, instead of the correct place (and, Standard), of "Kimberly, Cape Province, South Africa", if such was available at the time.
Hence, the the "Discovery Pages", in "Ancestors.FamilySearch.org", record the 'Place' of "Death", that is "Standardised"; which, is that of "Kimberly, Western Australia, Australia".
As such ...
Therefore, to CORRECT the oversight, in BOTH, "Family Tree", of 'FamilySearch'; and, "Ancestors.FamilySearch.org", of 'FamilySearch' ...
It is a simply matter, of "Editing", that "Death" record; and, "Standardising" the 'Place"; as, "Kimberly, Cape Province, South Africa", if that is correct.
Plus, it is most likely, a good idea, to ensure, that both, the Province; and, the Country, appear as entered/recorded.
And, in a few Weeks, the two (x2) Programmes of,
(1) "Family Tree", of 'FamilySearch'; and,
(2) "Ancestors.FamilySearch.org", of 'FamilySearch',
will "Synchronise"; and, the 'Place' of "Death", in the "Discovery Page", will appear; as, "Kimberly, Cape Province, South Africa".
Here are some "Knowledge Articles", in 'FamilySearch':
Where does the information on discovery pages come from?
How do I fix errors on a Family Tree discovery page?
Changes to Family Tree do not show up immediately on the discovery pages.
And, for good measure ...
What is the purpose of discovery pages in Family Tree?
I hope that this may also help/assist, somewhat.
The problem is not confined to discovery pages for individuals. The Search Records function is chock full of incorrect expansions of incomplete place names found in the original records. What's needed is a MASSIVE replacement of those crazy expansions with relevant ones. To cite another example, consider the Maine Death Index, which contains only the name of the town or city of death along with the date and age. The context is clear, and so it is "safe" to omit the name of the state and country, but in case after case, the place name has been expanded wrongly, and doing a Search for a death actually recorded in Maine turns up nothing. Since this collection happens to be an index, rather than a folder of images, it isn't even possible for a user to edit the Search details on a case-by-case basis -- hence, the need for an automated correction.0
The auto-standardization flustercluck that you're talking about, @John Chandler_1, is a very different beast from Discovery pages showing that a Family Tree conclusion has been incorrectly standardized. The latter is caused by user error and is completely fixable, even if it takes a few weeks for the fix to show. The former was caused by a malformed automated process and cannot be fixed by mere mortal users like us. FamilySearch is still vastly underestimating the scope of the problem, and expects engineers to fix it piecemeal, based on individual reports. The fact that it has corrupted millions of records and rendered the search function unusable for places is apparently not registering.2