How do I transfer a Pedigree Resource File to my family tree? Can I transfer the
whole file, or do I do it person by person?
Thank you, Bridget L
If you maintain your family history in a separate database, you can submit a copy of your data to the Pedigree Resource File. This has several benefits for you:
For more information about PRFs, see Pedigree Resource File in the Research Wiki.
Do I understand your question correctly that you want to take families that are currently found in the Pedigree Resource File and move them to Family Tree?
There is a huge probability that anyone in the Pedigree Resource File is already in Family Tree. Before you make any kind of transfer, search carefully for existing records. Otherwise you have a high risk of creating a very large number of duplicates that you will then need to merge.
This is particularly true for older contributions to the Pedigree Resource File since, unless I am not remembering correctly, I'm fairly sure the PRF was one of the databases, along with the Ancestral File and the IGI used to create the tree in New Family Search that then became Family Tree in 2012.
Remember, you will not be transferring records from the PRF to a separate tree on Family Search that only you see, we are all working in the same massive database of everyone in Family Tree with the goal of only one entry in Family Tree for each person.
Welcome to this "Community.FamilySearch" Forum.
I am just another 'lowly' User/Patron
Following on from what 'Gordon' has already proffered ...
Here an old 'standby' of mine, that I have previously proffered on occasion ...
You can; but ...
Please DO NOT Upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Upload the GEDCOM Files in the "Genealogies" Part of 'FamilySearch', that is fine; but, please NOT into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Some of the reasons that Users/Patrons (like myself) DO NOT even want the ability to upload a GEDCOM File into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' are:
(1) It is most likely that individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File are ALREADY in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'; and, most Users/Patrons DO NOT even take the time to look to see if any one in their GEDCOM File is already in "Family Tree", in some instances, negating the need to even upload the GEDCOM File.
(2) There has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons, using the "Compare" process (of the upload) have "Dismissed" a "Possible" Match with an individual/person already in "Family Tree"; so that, their "Record", from their GEDCOM File, is loaded into "Family Tree", regardless; just so that, their "Record" appears in "Family Tree" (and, in some instances, for Members of the Church, so they can do the "Temple" Work, despite the fact that the "Temple" Work is ALREADY done with the "Possible" Match with the individual/person already in "Family Tree").
(3) Even with the "Compare" process (of the upload), there has been (many) cases where Users/Patrons have uploaded THEIR version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" that has been there for MANY years and is well documented and "Sources" - in many instances obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources".
(4) If an individual/person is ALREADY in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch", there is NO need to up uploaded one's version of an individual/person from one's own GEDCOM File - just take note of the the 'FamilySearch Person Identifier' (PID) of the individual/person that is ALREADY in "Family Tree"; and, one can go back later to ensure what information/detail is recorded and attached for that individual/person. Just DO NOT uploaded one's version of an individual/person in their GEDCOM File, on top of (ie. Over) an individual/person ALREADY in "Family Tree" - obliterating all of the documentation and "Sources" ALREADY in place/on record.
(5) The "Hours" (sometimes "Days"; or, even, "Weekes") of work, by other Users/Patrons, that can be needed to CORRECT the DAMAGE done by the upload of a GEDCOM File can be disheartening.
I am sorry ... 'off my soap box' ...
Enter (ie. 'Create') the individuals/persons in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' one at a time - on a one by one basis.
Many of the individuals/persons in a GEDCOM File, most probably, ALREADY exist in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
Only one or two generations of the "Living" individuals/persons; and, perhaps, maybe, only one or two generations of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, may be required to be entered/input into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch"; BEFORE, some of the "Deceased" individuals/persons, from one's Ancestral Lines, ALREADY existing in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', are discovered.
Use the "Find" facility/function/feature to Search "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch', one may be surprised to find some (if not, many) of them already there.
Many well established and documented (eg. "Sourced") individuals/person in "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch' have been RUINED, by the upload, a GEDCOM File, into "Family Tree" of 'FamilySearch'.
I hope this puts things into perspective.
I really hope that this gives you some insight and more perspective.
The above information is great -- but the short answer to your question is yes. The process of moving information from the GEDCOM into Family Tree is done manually, one name at a time, as you compare and review. The system will indicate if there are possible matches in Family Tree, if the name is already in Family Tree, or whether the record is invalid or for a living person. You can also add to Family Tree.
Here is the knowledge article about copying information from the GEDCOM file into Family Tree:
Thank you very much to everyone who answered my question.
This gives me a lot to get going on.
I appreciate everyone giving their time!
Regards, Bridget L