Skip to content

Community News

Groups Select

Clear

New to the Community?

edited June 29 in Community News

Are you new to the Community and don't know where to begin?

Find information about Getting Started in the Community Overview section by clicking My Role at the left-navigation panel.

Comments

• The "Community Overview" link in the above message goes to the perpetual "Permission problem" page.

• edited July 2

Oh, and the My Role link at the bottom of the left-hand stack goes to an empty page.

• edited July 4

I am also experiencing both of the above issues.

• I see the same problems, i.e. the permissions problem and empty page.

• While researching an ancestor one of the hints showed my person with fathers name and mothers name. Mothers name was incorrect so I looked at the film. Instead of my ancestor being born (John) it showed William as being born and father John and mother Eleanor. The surname on the film was different. How can I get the item corrected?

• edited July 17

@Robert Crouch_1

We cannot be certain from your post if the data is incorrect in FamilySearch Family Tree or in the Historical Records. You will want to post your own question with ID numbers in order to get a resolution.

Below are the steps that one needs to take to ask their own question in Community:

Sign into the FamilySearch Community.

On the left side of the screen click Q and A, then, on the Help Center Categories page, click Xxxxxxx.(The correct Category for your Question).

On the right side of the page click Ask a Question.

Enter the subject of your question in the Question field. In the box below Question, ask your question including as much detail as you can. This is where you would enter the PID#, person's full name, and your relationship to the person.

Note: Do not include any private information, like username, helper number or email address.

If it will help explain your question, you can also upload a file by clicking the paperclip icon.

At the bottom of the post click Ask Question to submit your post.

Your post will then be reviewed and you will be contacted via private messaging for any additional details that may be needed to research your question.

Thank you.

• @Sheryl Neal Slaughter

@John Curran

The reason "Permission Denied" displays when going to "My Role" and "Community Overview" is because this is information for Moderators so contains information not helpful for Guests. You may find Community FAQs helpful.

• I added the wrong person and then changed their information and don't know how to detach them from my tree and they have a lot of people attached to them. What do I do to remove them. the system is saying I cannot delete them and I don't know where to go for help

• @Uneektee

Below are the steps that one needs to take to ask their own question in Community: (A Moderator might not find this post to give you an answer if you just post as a Comment.) I just happen to be to be part of this conversation and so received a Notification about your post.

Sign into the FamilySearch Community.

On the left side of the screen click Q and A, then, on the Help Center Categories page, click Xxxxxxx.(The correct Category for your Question). In this case it would be Family Tree.

On the right side of the page click Ask a Question.

Enter the subject of your question in the Question field. In the box below Question, ask your question including as much detail as you can. This is where you would enter the PID#, person's full name, and your relationship to the person.

Note: Do not include any private information, like username, helper number or email address.

If it will help explain your question, you can also upload a file by clicking the paperclip icon.

At the bottom of the post click Ask Question to submit your post.

Your post will then be reviewed and you will be contacted via private messaging for any additional details that may be needed to research your question.

In answer to your question, normally you would need to use the Edit pencil to the right of the children (see the directions below) but this sounds like it might be complicated enough that you might need to call Support for help. To find that information, click on the "?", Click on "Contact Us", and scroll down to North America Area FamilySearch Support. You will find the link for chats, the hours of operation, and the phone number there if the instructions in the article are not enough help for you.

To find the instructions, if you will go to familysearch.org and in the top right corner select the "?" Then click on the "Help Center" link in the lower left of the dialog box, it will bring up a Search Box under the words "Help Center". Type in the key words "edit parent child". One of the links should be to this article: