child sealed to incorrect parents
Father, James A Kelly (L417-X8V) was sealed to wrong wife, Clara Bell Knox (9QRM-DFA). child born to Correct wife Clara Knox (G7FB-Q87) is Otelia Kelly (L41P-XKQ).
I removed James Kelly from Clara Bell Knox and added him to Clara Knox. Then was able to request a sealing between James A. Kelly and Clara Knox which I have shared with the Temple. I deleated Otelia Kelly from James A Kelly and Clara Bell Knox before deleating James from the union with Clara Bell Knox. I added Otelia Kelly to correct parents. However Otelia Kelly is sealed to the wrong biological mother.
My question is: How do I seal Otelia Kelly to James A. Kelly and Clara Knox?
Merretta Palmer 6616183660
We received your question.
Please review this knowledge article:
My ancestor was sealed to the wrong parents
April 20, 2020
If a person was sealed to the wrong parents, you can often resolve the issue in Family Tree. As needed, redo the ordinances. You can usually resolve these issues without contacting FamilySearch Support.
Before you start, it can be helpful to redo the sealing-to-parent ordinance if it matches these circumstances:
- The ordinance was done before 1 July 1969, and either the father or mother is wrong.
- The ordinance was done after 1 July 1969, and the father is wrong. If only the mother's name is wrong, you do not need to redo the ordinance. The word "mother" in the temple ordinance makes the ordinance valid even if the wrong mother's name was given.
Each of these steps could be considered its own process. For more detailed instructions on how to complete each of them, view the articles linked at the bottom.
- Add the correct parents to Family Tree if they are not already there.
- Remove the incorrect parents from the family. (You can remove incorrect parents even when a sealing-to-parent ordinance has been done.)
- Request and perform needed ordinances for any new people that you added to the family.
- If the sealing-to-parents ordinance needs to be redone, request it.
If you have questions, feel free to contact us . Due to the specialized work required to resolve this type of issue, the online Send a Message option brings the fastest response. In your message, include the following information:
- Category: Temple
- Subject: Incorrect Sealing
- Your FamilySearch username and helper number. See your FamilySearch account settings.
- Your relationship to the individual needing attention.
- The case number if you have previously contacted us about this problem. The case number helps us find the information you have already provided.
- The name, ID number, and birth date of the individual involved in the incorrect sealing.
- An explanation of what is wrong.
- Attachments: Any documentation that proves the correct relationships. For example, scanned copies or a web page URL of birth, marriage, or death certificates, census records, or church records. You can also mail photocopies to the following address:
Family History DepartmentData Quality (JSMB 3W)
15 East South Temple Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0403
When do temple ordinances need to be performed again?
When sealing-to-parents ordinances need to be performed again
How do I add a family member to the pedigree in Family Tree?
How do I correct parent-child relationships in Family Tree?1
Otelia Kelly (L41P-XKQ) SP ordinance is now showing correctly in Family Tree. She was never sealed as a child to Clara Bell Knox despite this Clara showing erroneously as a spouse in FamilyTree to Otelia's father, James A Kelly (L417-X8V).
Even if that had been true, the SP would have still been legitimate as the word "mother" takes precedence in the Sealing.
Is there an error in the article referenced…
before 1969… redo if either parent is incorrect.
after 1969… redo only if the father is incorrect, but not if the mother is incorrect.
This doesn’t make sense to me. What is the intention of prioritizing the father’s name? Why 1969? And are the dates incorrect - before/after switched?0