How to write an effective research question.
Genealogy is really just detective work. Clues lead to more information. When asking a research question, please include as much of the following information as possible:
- Full name of the ancestor
- birth date, even if approximate, and place [as much as is known]
- residence(s) in the US or other country of immigration
- any details you have on parents, spouse, children, and where they lived
- known emigration and naturalization details
- anything else that might be helpful, like a known name change
- which records you have already searched and the results
This enables the dedicated, knowledgeable volunteers in this community to help you effectively by coming up with good research suggestions. We love helping you find ancestors!