Skip to content

How to Use FamilySearch Community

Groups Select

Clear

How do I get started?

Hello- I am new to the Family Search community and was referred to your group by "ctr sweetie" from the Help Center. I am working on my genealogy and feel like I am not sure what to do next. I am trying to find information about my various family members with the last names of Wiegel, Gorr, and Praeger. My grandparents lived in Saratov and immigrated to the USA in May, 1912. I do not know any of the names of my great grandparents, great aunts, great uncles, etc. I do not believe my relatives were Catholic. My parents have both passed away so I don't have them to help me out with information.

How do I begin my search? Where should I start "digging?"

Thanks so much for you advice and support.

---Pauline Fountain

Answers

• I do not have experience with Russian genealogy, but I can say the following. The 1930 and 1940 US federal censuses are probably the best records to start with. Then you'd want to look for the death records of your grandparents, which hopefully will give a birthdate and names of parents. Obituaries, immigration and naturalization records are other potentially helpful records. In Russia, the main record type is likely to be church records.

FamilySearch has a Wiki with information on genealogical research. For example, here is the page for vital records in the state of Delaware: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Delaware_Vital_Records There is a similar page for every other US State and country.

I hope this gives you some ideas for starting this research.

• Thank you for your help and suggestions. Now at least I have a starting point.