Sources attached to multiple unindexed people
I’m having an issue with source attachments, and I’m not sure whether it’s a problem with the new version or not, but I am just now noticing it. The problem occurs in the case when an indexed source is attached to people that are not indexed to that source. For example, the collection “North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979"” is currently indexed to the deceased person only. The collection contains images of a paper folder along with an image of each of the documents that is found in the folder, These folders are physically located at the NC State Archives. Within the particular estate file for each deceased person there is often a wealth of information identifying children, spouses, in-laws, grandchildren and other relationships. None of the people except for the deceased is indexed on Familysearch. In many cases, these files provide proof of a relationship that can’t be found elsewhere. Because they are such a good source, I have very often attached these source to multiple people who were referenced within the file. In most cases, when I’ve attached a source from this NC Estate Files collection, I also select the option to add the source to my source box. From there, I add an abstract to the source description identifying the key relationships found. Then I attach the source to each of the people referenced. If there is something of particular interest to a particular profile, then I will explain that in the “reason this source is attached” field, but usually I just repeat the abstract. With that background, here is the problem:
Now when I open a profile’s Source page and click on one of these NC estate records sources, then the source record for that source opens up. So far, so good. From there if I click on URL string that is displayed, then one of the new Source screens comes up. Quite prominently off to the right is a column indicating who the source is attached to on the family tree. However, this list doesn’t include everyone who is attached—it only lists one person. If I open up the View screen from the main source screen (the old screen that originally opened up from the profile’s source list), the View list of attachments does show everyone that is attached. It seems that the URL list on the new screen should match the View list in this case. Anyway, to make matters worse, when I do go to the URL list, the name of the attached person that shows up isn’t the same every time, however, whoever does show up is in the View list. In fact, I was able to bounce around from person to person, and eventually all of the people in the View list did show up on the new screen, but only one at a time.
The same thing happens if you do a Search looking for these estate records, and then click on the paper icon in the view column, which appears to show the new same screen. The URL of this new screen matches the URL in the source where I attached multiple people. Also, on the Search screen, if you click on the little tree that shows who is attached to the source, only one name shows, and it varies from time to time.
Anyway, it seems like the new screen should be able to identify that there are multiple people attached, since all show on the View list and clearly the program can access all of them, since they all end up displaying at some point, just one at a time. It would just be nice if they could all display on the new screen at once, since they are all attached.