Source Linker - Automated comparisons
Description of the request
As a user of family search, I would like it if the source linker would provide some comparison stats between the record and the person on my family tree I am reviewing. In other words, I want to quickly see how the record I am trying to attach compares to the people I am trying to attach it to through the UI.
Example of solution
For example, let's assume I have an ancestor and I know the following information about him/her.
- Name: John Smith
- Birth date : September 5th, 1820
- Location of Birth: Macon Georgia
- Death date: December 3rd, 1880
- Location of Death: Columbus Georgia
Now let's assume that Family search finds a record with the following information for John Smith.
- Name: John Smith
- Birth: September, 1819
- Location of Birth: Macon, Bibb, Georgia
- Death: October 4th, 1879
- Location: Phoenix City, Alabama
I would like the source linker to have an inline display that indicates to me which data from the above matches from the source(usually displayed on the left) to the person in my tree(usually displayed on the right).
In this scenario the following is what I would expect to see for each field on the "Selected Person and Spouse" side of the source linker.
- Name: A green checkbox(or similar UI element) indicating that the names are an exact match
- Birth: A UI element indicating that the Month is a direct match, but the year is off by 1 year.(Or something like this)
- Location of Birth: A UI element indicating the city and state are an exact match. But my family tree is missing the county.(or something like this)
- Death: A UI element indicating the month, day, and year are not a match. Preferably something that indicates how far off these dates are in months, days, or years.(whatever is easiest to program, because I know date formatting can be a pain).
- Location of Death: A UI element indicating that the city and state are not a match.
Why I think this would be helpful
This would help speed up comparing the sources for me because it provides a visual signal for how the data matches up rather than me reading the information and having to parse it mentally. It makes it immediately clear which discrepancies in the data exist without me having to review it line-by-line.
Many of these suggestion relate to things I usally end up comparing when I am decided if I should attach a record or not. It would greatly speed up the process if the website was able to assist me with this in some way.