Skip to content

Other Ideas - Triaged

Groups Select

Clear

FamilySearch. WHY those CAMPAIGNS need to be MORE 'Selective'; and, NOT, sent out those DISCOVERY ty

LegacyUserLegacyUser ✭✭✭
edited March 3 in Other Ideas - Triaged
Brett said: FamilySearch

This is WHY those "Campaigns" need to be more 'Selective'; and, NOT, sent out to those that/who ALREADY know!

I received Two (x2) NEW 'Messages' under the "Discovery" Category in "User Messaging" of "FamilySearch" the other day, on 3 April (2020), that are BOTH a WASTE of my time; and, should NOT have even been sent.

The first was one of those of "Headstone Discovery"; and, the second was one of those of "Homeland Discovery".

------------------

And, for those Users/Patrons in the Forum, I WANT to continue to receive those "Discovery" type 'Messages' under the "Discovery" Category in "User Messaging" of "FamilySearch", just in case something of interest 'pops up' - I know many Users/Patrons just want to 'Turn' them 'Off' altogether (eg. 'Cold Turkey'); but, I do not, so please DO NOT go there, this is about the "Campaigns" needing to be more 'Selective'.

-------------------

The first, the "Headstone Discovery", was for a Grand "Scottish" Uncle who migrated to the "United States of America".

He has x24 "Sources" attached, all attached by me.

The relevant "Headstone" was of a "Source" from a "FindAGrave" record, a "Source" that I had ALREADY attached to him back in 2015.

In fact, I have visited his Grave in "United States of America"; and, have Photographs of the Headstone.

As I actually attached that "Source" of my Grand Uncle - that is a RIDICULOUS "Discovery" to send to me - I already discovered that and know.

------------------

The second, the "Homeland Discovery", was for a Paternal Great Grandmother, an "Irish" 'lass' from/in "England".

She has x25 "Sources" attached, all attached by me.

In fact, I added her in "New.FamilySearch", 'many moons ago'.
I am the ONLY User that has had any INPUT into her over the Years - I continually add new 'discoveries' to her.

In fact, I have actually 'trod' in her 'footsteps', so to speak - I have actually been there (in person and) visited many of the places she called home, both, in Ireland and England.

As I actually know about the 'Homeland(s)', both, Ireland and England, that is a RIDICULOUS "Discovery" to send to me - I already discovered that and know.

------------------

As indicated in the 'Subject' of my post:

This is WHY those "Campaigns" need to be MORE 'Selective'; and, NOT, sent out those "Discovery" type 'Messages' to those that/who ALREADY know!

Please REVISIT "All" your "Campaigns" to make them MORE 'Selective', to those to whom they are sent.

This is part of the reason as to WHY Users/Patrons WANT to "Turn" those "Discovery" type 'Messages' to "Off" altogether.

If you do not get it, be MORE 'Selective' to those to whom they are sent.

The "Campaigns" certainly have merit for those that do not participate in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" or participate infrequently; but, for those that participate in "Family Tree" of "FamilySearch" (especially, regularly) and attach the "Sources" to which many of those "Campaigns" are based, the "Campaigns" are just a nuisance.

------------------

Please consider making the "Campaigns" MORE 'Selective'; and, NOT, sent out to those that/who ALREADY know!

I am certainly not programmer; but, I would consider/suspect that it would NOT be TOO difficult to deduce those that DO NOT need to be sent various "Campaigns"; and, "Code" for such - but, of course, I could be wrong; and, stand corrected if I am wrong.

'Thank You' in advance.

Submitted for your. information; attention; and consideration.

Brett

0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jeff Wiseman said: This is another reason that I just toss those things. I have yet to get one telling me about a source that hasn't already been previously attached
  • Christine said: I chuckled last week when I received the "Your relative was born in England." Considering that ALL of my gg grandparents (and their parents and their parents. . .) were born in England and I also attached or added sources to most of them, that discovery was not actually a "discovery.". But it was good to have something to smile about.

While it would be heartbreaking, perhaps a bit of perspective might be gained in our current worldwide situation if we received a notice about relatives who may have died in the Spanish flu epidemic.
  • Juli said: Yeah, I got one that said my grandfather was born in Hungary. That was a "better to laugh than to cry" reaction, for sure. (All of my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents were born in what was Hungary at the time. Every. Single. One.)
  • Tom Huber said: I got one that talked about my Grandmother -- who raised me after my mother died.

I really wish FamilySearch would honor the opt out for discovery messages. This comes up with regularity and every time, a bunch of us complain about the "discovery" messages that we do not want and yet receive.

The internal messaging system needs to follow the same opt-out requests that the email system recognizes.
  • Robert Wren said: BUT, maybe you didn't know that, Juli, or maybe he moved, or maybe he wasn't your grandfather, or maybe he died of the spanish flu???? ; )
  • Brett said: FamilySearch

Now ... this is adding insult to injury ...

Today I just received another "Campaign" prompt ...

In fact, another 'Messages' under the "Discovery" Category in "User Messaging" of "FamilySearch", this time ... "Your ancestor's birthday is coming up!"

Really ...

This is the SAME Ancestor that you JUST sent me a ... "Campaign" prompt ... 'Message' under the "Discovery" Category about ... ONLY ... x4 Days ago ...

Seriously ...

Come on "FamilySearch" ... get your act together with regard to ... "Campaign" prompts ... 'Messages' under the "Discovery" Category in "User Messaging" of "FamilySearch" ... be MORE 'Selective'; and, have the various "Campaigns" interact with each other, to STOP such as what I experienced happening.

I should have NEVER been sent this latest ... "Campaign" prompt ... 'Message' under the "Discovery" Category about ... ONLY ... x4 Days ... after the previous one.

By sending latest ... "Campaign" prompt ... 'Message' under the "Discovery" Category about ... ONLY ... x4 Days ... after the previous one ... is could be considered, that you are implying, that I DO NOT use my intellect and look outside of the 'box' (but, it is possible that some do not).

These "Campaign" prompts for those who are ALREADY "Participating" are a nuisance and annoying. So much so that, many have "Turned Off" the 'E-mails'; because, your "Campaigns" are NOT 'Selective'; and, DO NOT interact.

The "Campaigns" are to engender "Participation"; but, they can still be MORE 'Selective'; and, interact with each other, to STOP such as what I just experienced happening.

Please do not be discouraged, the premise of the "Campaigns" have merit; and, are working, they just need some 'tweaking'.

Brett

• Tom Huber said: Just got another one... for my Grandfather!

And guess who created the record way back in nFS days and have contributed heavily to the record, including the "anniversary" that was in a "Discovery" message?

Between myself and my daughter, the bulk of the material is contributed by us. There is no way that this "campaign" should have triggered a discovery message and yet it did.

Brett is right on, but so is the very valid request to honor the opt out for these messages!
  • Tom Huber said: For having limited resources, FamilySearch isn't really doing anything for their credibility with an ongoing barrage of unwanted and inappropriate campaign messages.

Make better use of your resources and stop the madness !!!
  • David Wynn said: Yes. This needs to be very clearly stated to the people generating the campaigns. It is never a "discovery" if someone else already found and processed. The campaign didn't "discover" any records that are already found and appropriately attached to the indicated profile. It can only count as a "discovery" if the record is not already attached to the profile the campaign wants to match it to. This is an easily understood English word. FamilySearch ends up sounding very foolish when it uses words in such a careless manner.
  • Brett said: David

I am glad you said it; and, not me ...
    My name is already 'mud' ...

Brett

• Jeff Wiseman said: FS does frequently use words on the site in very ambiguous ways (occasionally in total opposition to what you find in the dictionary). It frequently causes a lot of confusion.

Just because the FS team made a "discovery" for themselves doesn't mean they can say its a discovery for me. I'm not going to be excited about anything that I learned about and documented years ago.

It sort of reminds me of the advertising on cereal boxes. The marketeers are so wrapped up and proud of the work or campaign they are doing that they assume EVERYONE is just as thrilled! (ever see a note on a cereal box to the effect "New Box!" or "Meet Our New Mascot!")

I just find that so funny.
  • Brett .Brett . ✭✭✭

FamilySearch

FYI

This is a 'Post' submitted in the OLD 'FamilySearch' ("GetSatisfaction") 'Feedback' Forum ...

This is the FULL 'Title' of this post:

FamilySearch. WHY those CAMPAIGNS need to be MORE 'Selective'; and, NOT, sent out those DISCOVERY type 'Messages' to those who ALREADY know!

Here is the 'Converted' URL address in the (NEW) "IDEAS' 'Feedback' Forum

https://community.familysearch.org/s/idea/0874V000000siTpQAI/detail.

The "Topic" (ie, Category) that was selected as: HELP & FEEDBACK.

The aforementioned being a "Topic" (ie, Category) that, for some, whatever it be, you have NOT "Reinstated", in this (2nd. New) "Ideas" Forum.

Subsequently, placing this post in a "Topic" (ie, Category) you have "Created" being "Other Ideas - Triaged".

Submitted for your, information, attention; and, consideration.

Brett