For engineers: Hidden characters in date field
I see this bug/glitch/mysterious behavior occasionally. Here I caught one and instead of fixing it I took a screenshot so others can see it too. Would a moderator please escalate this to the engineers. Thank you.
It's not hidden characters. It's just incorrectly standardized: the display value of "18 September 1846" has somehow gotten associated with the database entry "1 September 0018".
(I think maybe the website was being slow or glitchy when the date was typed in, so that while the display field got all the characters, the standards-search wasn't keeping up. The contributor didn't notice, and just hit "enter" at the end, accepting the incomplete date as the associated standard.)3
I think it is hidden characters because when I go to fix these perplexing standardized places, they don't easily go away. I typically have to completely replace the contents of the field.
Now with the Find result filters I am finding and fixing many of these bad dates.0
Post an example you have not fixed. These usually quite easy to correct.0
Oh, you had not fixed the one you did post. I went there, clicked on the end of the date, hit the downward arrow, and picked the date. Didn't save it but it did correct with no trouble at all.0
Here is fixing without saving in the old pages: https://youtu.be/lAJfSGob460
Here is fixing without saving in the new pages: https://youtu.be/Ruet_0DBY2I
Both are quickly done.1