How can I change my relative's information from living to deceased?
My grandfather's (LNF8-38N) status is "living" and I need to change it to "deceased." I found my grandfather in Family Search under a different ID# (G9SR-XLD) and that shows him as deceased. Is there a way for me to combine the 2 of them or do I just delete the one that is still listed as living?
Thank you for posting in the Community about changing the living to deceased. On the Details page, click the edit beside Death in the Vital Information section. and click the circle in front of Deceased, give the reason, and click Save. Write down the ID number for the second record. You will then be able to merge the two records by ID number.
- In Family Tree, display the person page of one of the duplicate records.
- If the Details section is not displayed, click Details.
- Click Merge by ID. It is located in the Tools section, along the right side of the page.
- Enter the ID number with capital letters and the hyphen.
- Click Continue. The merge screen opens in a new browser tab.
- Left side: This is the possible duplicate. It is deleted if you merge the records.
- Right side: This is the record you started from. It is saved if you merge the records.
- Decide if the records are about the same person.
- Compare the left and right sides for matching names, dates, places, and family members.
- Read any warning messages on the screen.
- If the record on the left is the most accurate, click Switch to keep it instead.
- If the records are not about the same person, click Not a Match. If the records are about the same person, click Yes Continue. If you are not sure, click Cancel.
- On the surviving record, review all information that has a green background. Highlighted information will be copied to the surviving record when you complete the merge. If this information should not be saved on the surviving record, click Undo.
- Click Continue.
- Finish the merge:
- Review the surviving record.
- If everything looks as it should, click Finish Merge.
- To explain why you merged these records, either select a suggested reason statement or enter one of your own.
- Click Save.
Immediately after the merge and for a short time, an “undo” option is available. It lets you easily unmerge the two records.
Wishing you success.0