Images are not displayed
I'm getting a blank window whenever I try to display the image associated with a record. This happens not only with clicking on the image icon for a record with a specific link to an image, but also when I "check image availability" for a record that doesn't have a direct link and then select the "browse" option. I'm using Firefox 93.0
"Clear cache and cookies" is such often-repeated advice on FamilySearch that there's an article in the help center (somewhere) on how to do it. This may be one situation where it actually addresses the problem (a "stuck" process enshrined in a saved file) rather than just easing a symptom (by taking up time). That said, the simplest first pass would be to try a different browser: if that doesn't work, then neither will clearing your files.0
I'm having the same problem. It started 3 days ago. I tried to start a Live Chat. No one responded. I submitted Feedback; perhaps I'll get a response there.
I can view the document via the Historical Images interface (https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/). However, those documents do not contain the indexes. Working without the indexes is very time-consuming. Additionally, many of the indexes for these old, Hungarian documents are incorrect and I am correcting them as I do my research.
This clearly is a bug. I also am using Firefox 93.0. It would be helpful if someone from FamilySearch.org would respond with an estimate as to when this bug will be fixed.
Clearing cache and cookies doesn't work and neither does switching browsers - I'm a Firefox user as well (whatever the latest version is; I have mine on auto-update) and my usual go-to for buggy performance is to open the page in Chrome. Same problem.
I did just accidentally discover that viewing the page in full screen DOES allow viewing of the image. Otherwise the index and image information completely obscures the document you're trying to view. However, if you're trying to copy information into your own software, it's a royal pain to switch back and forth.
My guess is some programmer misplaced a comma or a quotation mark (an easy thing to do when you're writing code and REALLY hard to debug because your eyes tend to slide over little characters like that) and didn't test in both views before going live.0
The problem may be fixed. I just accessed one of the pages that I wasn't able to view and it is now displaying correctly.
Thank you FamilySearch!!!0
It's spotty. The day after I posted my comment, it started behaving again... until yesterday when I couldn't view the original documents on ANY censuses. The entire page was taken up by an un-resizeable index that could only be viewed by highlighting the text. Again, this has to be a goof in the script code somewhere.0