Standardized place names now listing incorrect type of community
In the Canadian county of Peel, someone has been actively changing the standardized place names, seemingly arbitrarily. I haven't been keeping track, but the latest instance I found was Brampton, Peel, Ontario, Canada being switched from Town to Township.
Is there a way that I could get access to the list of standardized names, and suggest corrections? There were other mistakes, previously, but this is a new wave.
I work at the Regional archives for Peel, and I am a freelance geography writer for The Canadian Encyclopedia.
Thank you for your question in the Community about the list of standardized names, and suggesting corrections. The standardized place names list is incomplete. Use the directions below to make suggestions or additions.
- Begin at FamilySearch Places https://www.familysearch.org/research/places/.
- In the top left corner of the screen, click + Suggest a New Place.
- You will need to log in to FamilySearch before continuing.
- Select a place category.
- If you are uncertain which category it might be, click the circle next to a category, and a definition will appear.
- Click Next.
- Enter the name of the place you are suggesting.
- In the next field, begin entering the Parent Place. This is the next largest geographic boundary that surrounds the place.
- You will see place-type hints for the parent. Your options for parent type are not limited to these suggestions (for example: City, Province).
- Select a standardized option from the drop-down after you begin typing.
- For help, see “Tips for Selecting a Parent Place” at the end of this document.
- In order to help reduce duplicates from being suggested, FamilySearch checks to see if the place already exists in our database of places.
- Click Next.
- Verify that the Language field reflects the language of the NAME that you are suggesting (not the native language of that place).
- If you see the place you are trying to add in the search results, click Select. No further action is necessary.
- To finish suggesting the new place click Submit.
- Add Additional Information to add value to the place and the suggestion.
- Add the geographic Location and the Source Web Address (URL) to help with future improvements to that place. *This is not required.
- A place without this information cannot be a parent place to other places.
- Click Create Place.
We are also enclosing the article link for suggestions to the standardized place name. It contains some additional information.
Thank you for your help with adding to the standardized place name list.0
If I am understanding your issue correctly, perhaps you might wish to post examples at https://community.familysearch.org/en/discussion/comment/379013#Comment_379013, which @Gordon Collett has set-up specifically to highlight similar probelms.0