Ancestry Institution is not working
Ancestry Institution is not working at the Hurricane Family History Center. Infact, Ancestry will not let me log into my own LDS account at the Hurricane Family History Center. Is this a known Issue?
Would you please follow the steps outlined by CHold?
Please ensure that the Windows Operating System (OS) is at least Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 21H1, or later.
Please clear browser cookies.
If you are still having an issue with access to the FHC Portal with Premium Sites and Restricted Records, from at least one (1) computer, provide the information provided by the Computer Information.exe (installed as part of the "Family History Center Technical Toolbox version 22.214.171.124")0
Ancestry Institution is not working at the Hurricane Family History Center. In fact, Ancestry will not let me log into my own LDS account at the Hurricane Family History Center. Is this a known Issue?
I have also posted this question in the Family History Centers group.
Thank you, Rayleen Barnes0
@Rayleen H Barnes are the other premium sites working?0
Ancestry Institution from the person page is not working at the Rexburg family history Center.
Is there something we are doing incorrectly?
Find my past is working
My Heritage Library edition doesn't seem to be working.0
@Rayleen H Barnes and @Lisa Papenfuss
Since the portal has been re configured there are some things that the STFHC-FHC leaders need to do to update their computers. It would be best that each FHC leader (director) call into Family History Center support and get hooked up with a tech to make sure that everything is in order with their computers.
First of all the computers in the FHC need to be all Windows 10.
Second there is an Family History Center Premium extension that needs to be added to each computer.
Third there needs to be the tool box added to each computer.
Please encourage your FHC Directors to call in and work with a tech to get the center's computers running the new portal correctly.0
We have tried calling into FHC support a couple of times, but rather than getting anyone to help us, we have been told to post our question/issue/problem in community. Today, we were informed that call-in help will soon be eliminated and everything will be through the community pages. We are having issues with the portal and also issues with the premium sites working from Family Tree person pages. We have Windows10 on all our computers, we have installed the toolbox, and the Chrome browsers have the Family History Center Premium extension you refer to. I don't know how we can receive tech help when we are told to request help here. We have asked to speak to a tech person, but have been told that we must use this forum.0
MJ Enders ✭✭
Without seeing your screen, it is difficult to know exactly what to suggest. If none of these work, ask the same question on the Family Tree Q and A about Ancestry and see if they have some suggestions.
Maybe some of these ideas could help.
- The Portal only works at the FHCs.
- The Portal only works when the guest is signed in.
- Try opening from the Green ball in the top right by the puzzle piece. I think it says "View Sites" on the button. That may solve the problem.
- Use either personal or Institutional on the "Details" page for the person you are working on. Both are listed in the research box to the right of the details.
- Use Institutional A. when doing research. Use a personal A. account when working on your tree. Institutional does not save your tree, though you can cut and paste the source information.
- Did you clear FamilySearch's cookies @ familysearh.org/cookies? Pretty fast. FS creates lots of cookies and it may be clinging onto the old portal ones.
Once you know that your computers are up to date and have the portal extension properly added to your browser, you need to aware that accessing the premium web sites is a little different now. A guest needs to open the portal and the desired premium web site before they try to access the premium web site through their personal FS account.
1. Open a browser. The Portal and FamilySearch are in the first two tabs.
2. From the Portal go to Premium Web sites. The Premium Web Sites page loads
3. Click on the web site to be used. That Premium Site loads. (Currently, this should work for
Ancestry and MyHeritage, but experiments indicate that it may work for FindMyPast.)
4. From FamilySearch (the second tab), sign in.
5. In FamilySearch, navigate to a person page.
6. From the personal page, click to search on the institution or library editions. (Note that
FindMyPast might work here as well, but only Ancestry and MyHeritage are supposed to work.)
7. Because you have logged into "Ancestry" from the Premium Websites page, when you click on
Ancestry Institutional from your account and the persons detail page you are working, it should
open another tab, which should be logged now as FamilySearch Center.
Good luck with your searching!0
Interesting. So I tried the steps you said. But instead of getting search results for the person from whom's FamilySearch details page I clicked his "Ancestry Institution" link, I just get a general landing page with a green button that says "Begin Searching". Shouldn't the search parameters for what we know about the person be passed over to Ancestry Institution? (like it does for the normal Ancestry link)?0
Ancestry Institution does not populate the person information of the person that you are working on. You do have to click on the "Begin Searching" button and then you have to type in the information and then click search. This is a bit frustrating but that is the way Ancestry Institution works now.
Hopefully this will help.1
What a shame. I therefore suggest FamilySearch remove these Institution links from the person details page. The nonmember patron can just go to the FHC Portal to use Ancestry Institution from there, without implying some sort of failure to automatically search.0
@Jon W. Thomas - Would you be happy to start a new discussion in Suggest an Idea? You can post a link to this thread as a reference if you'd like. :)0