Hi I need help with a person. Per 1880 census of father listed he was adopted how would I get the profile changed as Amos Jarvis being his adopted father instead of biological. And I think per family told me Martha Robey I’d the adopted mother not Sarah. The 1880 census should show which wife to put him with. His brother also adopted on same census.
In the 1880 census Robert Lee Jarvis is listed as R. L. Flitcher 1880 United States Federal Census adopted
Records could be under Surname Pletcher as well. As he was adopted the records are slim as of September 3 2018 no adoption records have been found.
descendants of Amos Jarvis. One line reads "Robert Lee (adopted) Fletcher-Jarvis, b abt 1865Lewis Co Va. Also has James (adopted) Queen-Jarvis b abt 1874, Lewis Co West Virginia.
To change the status from biological to adoptive, click on the pencil box to the side of Robert Jarvis's name under his parents. Then under the parents name there is a "Add Relationship Type" link. There you can change his status to adoptive.
If he is a son of Martha Robey and not Sarah, you will have to delete the parent-child relationship that puts him under his first set of parents. To do that you can follow the link: "Correct parent-child relationships in Family Tree • FamilySearch"
Be sure to put the 1880 census as a source, so that his adoptive status can be clarified as the 1870 census doesn't prove adoption.
I hope I have answered your questions.1
Concerning working with adopted/step/guardianship , remember a child may be linked to more than one set of parents. One relationship would be biological, and the other designation would fit the circumstance of the relationship0
Here are the steps to designating a parent as an adoptee of the child in question:
Robert Lee (adopted) Fletcher-Jarvis
- Navigate to the Person page of the individual (Robert Lee Fletcher-Jarvis).
- If you do not see Vitals near the top of the page, click Details.
- Scroll to the Family Members section at the bottom of the page.
- Under Parents and Siblings to the right, find the child's name and click the Edit icon (small pencil to the right of Robert's name).
- Change the current relationship type by clicking the Edit button in the Mother or Father sections (under the parent's name to the right of "Relationship to Child". Explain the reason for your change, and then click Save.
- Include missing relationship information by clicking Add Relationship Type. Select a relationship type, explain the reason for your change, and then click Save.
You can also find the article in the link above by searching in the Help Center (small question mark in the upper right of your screen) and typing "add relationship type" in the search bar. You can also print it out for your convenience.